Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Flash 9 + Trojan?

Options

Hi.

I have just tried downloading flashplayer 9 from adobe/macromedia. The download and installation doesn't complete because bitdefender10 detects the Trojan.Download.Gen virus in the can file.

I find it hard (but not impossible) to believe that adobe have got their file infected. So could someone from bitdefender check this out for themselves and confirm it as a true hit or a mis-hit?

I also think that this may be the source of my recent, previous infections which wern't picked up by McAfee or Symantec.

If it is a true detection, what's the normal procedure for notifying a big company about this?

Regards,

Steve

Comments

• Niels
    Options

Hi

You can temporary exclude the installer for being seen as infected by opening BD go to antivirus,shield,adjusted level,then press on the option don't scan this pad on all levels (on all accounts) press on add new item and then browse to the place where the installer is located. Then confirm by pressing 2x on ok. It must be a false positiv. That is also the reason why BD says it's possibly infected. Teh best thing is that you compress the installer with winzip or winrar and protect it with the follow pasword infected and attach it to your next post.

Regards

Niels

• vlad
    Options

It is very likely it was a false alarm; however, the current version of Flash Player installer (got from here: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/do...anguage=English ) is not detected.

Please update your signatures, and if detection persists, attach the guilty file to a message posted here.

I'm not much of a French speaker, but I assume the same goes for this post: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=124 .

-2 :)

• Thanks again to everyone.

The link posted by vlad is the one I used and having tried it again, it is still registering as having Trojan.Downloader.Gen as bein present.

Having had some recent bad experiences with Trojans which were detecetd by bit defender but not by McAfee or Norton/Symantec, I'm reluctant to disable my defenses to allow in a potential threat. The amount of time required to check and clearout the virus was excessive.

Also before I go taking on Adobe IT personnel, I need verification from bitdefender support that there is/isn't a trojan actually there.

Regards,

Steve

• vlad
    Options

I have downloaded the files again: the last two versions of Flash Player (just to make sure), which are 9.0.28.0 and 9.0.45.0, both IE and non-IE (Opera & Firefox), and they are not detected in any way.

First of all, please update your virus definitions. It may have been a false alarm, but it has been fixed.

Second, you may rest assured that the files downloaded from there are clean.

• Okay vlad.

Done that. Everythings fine now. Although I had autoupdate working which seems to update or check quite frequently. This time I did a manual update.

I don't really understand why an update should make a difference. I might expect an update to detect viruses that previously weren't detected but not to fail to detect ones that previously were detected.

Anyway - it seems to work so I'm happy. Thanks.

Regards,

Steve

This discussion has been closed.