Required To Tick "scan Http Traffic"?

I am using Bitdefender Antivirus 2009. I note that "Scan http traffic" is turned off by default. Does it leave the computer vulnerable to not have this box ticked? Or, am I protected from viruses potentioally coming in from the web?

Comments

• hnyaji
    edited April 2009

Hi

Yes...

probably web files are left out from scanning if this option is left unchecked.

for further info please look into the BitDefender help file. (copied here)

Protection level Description

Permissive Covers basic security needs. The resource consumption level is very low.

Programs and incoming mail messages are only scanned for viruses. Besides the classical signature-based scan, the heuristic analysis is also used. The actions taken on infected files are the following: clean file/deny access.

Default Offers standard security. The resource consumption level is low.

All files and incoming&outgoing mail messages are scanned for viruses and spyware. Besides the classical signature-based scan, the heuristic analysis is also used. The actions taken on infected files are the following: clean file/deny access.

Aggressive Offers high security. The resource consumption level is moderate.

All files, incoming&outgoing mail messages and web traffic are scanned for viruses and spyware. Besides the classical signature-based scan, the heuristic analysis is also used. The actions taken on infected files are the following: clean file/deny access.

• With HTTP scanner disabled, most malware coming from the web through your browser are still detected and blocked after they are downloaded, once they reach the browser's cache. So, in general, there is no difference when browsing.

The HTTP scanner makes a difference in certain conditions. This module scans the traffic in realtime, before it reaches the harddrive, so before actual download.

It protects you in 2 situations (that come to my mind right now, there might be more):

1) for web content that skips browser cache, and execute directly in the browser (like live data streams) which might contain malicious code

2) for files that are not downloaded through the browser. Assuming you get an infection undetected by BitDefender which tries to download more infected files using the HTTP protocol. If those other modules are known to the antivirus engine, then they will be blocked by the HTTP scanner. Otherwise, no.

Both of these cases are somehow extreme cases. My advice is to enable the HTTP scanner, as it offers another layer of protection. But it's your choice if you enable it or not.

Cris.