Data Execution Prevention Error

I have a HP Pavillion laptop and just bought and installed BitDefender 2009 Internet Security yesterday, switching over from Kaspersky 2008 Internet Security. Approximately 20 minutes after I installed the program, I restarted my computer and bitDefender would not open citing a "vsserv. exe Application Error". The error advised me to restart my computer and I did so, only to be faced with the error again.

I then read the post on this support forum and changed my Data Execution Prevention setting to "Turn on DEP for all Programs and Services except those I select" and added the "vsserv. exe" as advised. The startup problem then disappeared.

I proceeded to open my Windows Live Messenger and was able to communicate with all of my contacts except for one. When I click on this contact, the DEP error comes up and crashes my Messenger. I'm able to click on and talk to every single contact except for this one individual. I then checked for any Windows updates, MSN updates, driver updates, absolutely everything. Nothing worked. I turned off my antiphishing protection on BitDefender as advised on another forum, and again nothing. I've uninstalled Messenger then reinstalled it, deleted the contact and readded, absolutely everything I could think of with no luck.

Then, when I started turning on my computer I was confronted with a "hpwamain module has stopped working" error again due to DEP. From there I completely turned off DEP via command prompt run as an administrator, tried running the program, turned it on, changed back to the original setting.. all with no change.

To see if the problem really did come from BitDefender, I ran a System Restore to before I installed Bitdefender IS 2009 and the DEP problem went away. When going to other restore points progressively after BitDefender was installed to see if it could possibly be another program, the problem still occured.

Can somebody please help me.. I have no idea what to do anymore and I'm on the verge of just going out and buying Norton.

Comments

• hnyaji
    edited April 2009

Hi

remove BD using its uninstall tool. The link for this tool follows.

http://bitdefender.com/uninstall

Uninstall Kaspersky as well using its own uninstall tool.

Now reinstall BD (version released on 3rd of this month). Download from the BD website again to do this.

Hemanth

• kflynn14
    edited April 2009

Anyway you can provide a link to the BD released on April 3rd? I tried everything and downloaded the BD Internet Security 2009 on the BD website (didn't see anything for a updated version on the 3rd) with no luck again.

Hi

remove BD using its uninstall tool. The link for this tool follows.

http://bitdefender.com/uninstall

Uninstall Kaspersky as well using its own uninstall tool.

Now reinstall BD (version released on 3rd of this month). Download from the BD website again to do this.

Hemanth