Virus Or Vista/bd Clash?

I am prefacing this with this started with BD 2008, upgraded to BD 2009 with no change of behavior. Any ideas of directions to pursue outside of just throwing up my hands and FDisking are appreciated.

System: Vista Home 64bit, BD 2009

After logging in, checking my GMail and reading one document from a trusted friend, my system went spastic. His system is stable, he shows no virus' and scans nightly (unknown which product he uses). I don't know if this was coincidence or a cause. I just know that on the next reboot, it all went wonky.

Symptoms:

• All browsers (IE, FF, Saf, Chrome) refuse to leave their opening state. IE: you cannot browse away from the homepage. I can assign a new homepage, close and open the browser and it works. If I strip ALL security away and trust everything IE will open new pages in new browsers, giving warnings about zone changes. FF will open in new tabs, but neither will open in the same window. After closing and opening the browser, it returns to the same state, and will not allow browsing until security settings are "jiggled" again. Does not seem to matter if they are made more strict or less, simply that they must be changed.
  • Basic Windows games refuse to leave their opening state. IE: solitaire cards flip over, then zip back to the pile ... this is true for all games except minesweeper.
  • a line appeared in hosts ":::127" ... was able to remove this, it did not return, but also no change occurred in behavior.

Steps taken to date with no real progress except less hair on head:

• Deep scan as admin, then in safe mode (every which way from Sunday) ... nothing found
  • Scan from BD web ... nothing found
  • Cleaned registry
  • Cleaned all temporary files
  • Cleaned everything in sight with extreme prejudice

Oddities:

• After turning off all security on browser and BD (as much as it would allow), was able to browse for a short time UNTIL closed browser and then reopened it. Then it reset.
  • Did same thing again ... browsed around. Opened up solitaire ... it promptly zipped back to it's opening state AND the browser, ALSO returned to it's original state without even being on focus.
  • Allows such games or interactions such as minesweeper or any MMORPG style online game. While I would like to assume from this that the computer gods approve of my manic habit of gaming and wish I would focus more on them, somehow I doubt it.