Password recovery?

Hi there,

I have forgotten my password and so now I cannot make any changes to Bitdefender anymore.

I tried uninstalling it, but it asks for the password in order to uninstall.

Anyone k now a solution to my problem?

Comments

• Niels
    Niels
    edited April 2007

Hi Faress

Till now I don't use the password function but if you only see stars. Then you can try this program to see what is behind the stars: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/astlog.html If you install the program you must be able to see it. But it doesn't work with all programs. Or you can try this end the process bdmcon.exe in taksmanagement (control+alt+del(ete) go to processes. You must be logged in with administrator privileges . Then use the repair option.

Regards

Niels

• Unknown
    edited April 2007

I don't know if that this piece of software can be of any use because:

Known Limitations

This utility works fine with most password text-boxes, but there are some applications that don't store the password behind the asterisks, in order to increase their security. In such cases, Asterisk Logger will not be able to reveal the password.

The following applications and OS components don't store the password behind the asterisks:

* Netscape 6.x (Passwords in the Web page)

* Dialup and network passwords in Windows 2000

* Windows NT/2000/XP user management tools.

Have you tried to use, for uninstall, our tool.

• Niels
    Niels
    edited April 2007

Hi Florin Sticiuca

He tried but when he wanted to uninstall BD asks for his pasword to complete the uninstallation.

You are right. That tool can only reveal if you always see the stars.I tested it now it's indeed useless in this case because you don't see the stars everytime.

• I saw that he tried to uninstall but the uninstall tool has a more a aggressive way to remove BitDefender and maybe it bypasses the password. :unsure: I'm sorry but I don't know this for sure, but it's worth trying.

• Faress
    edited April 2007

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I tried a few programs that promessed to uncover hidden passwords, like the one you mentioned, but Bitdefender blocks these programs right after I download them, because it recognises them as spyware.

I managed to uninstall Bitdefender, though.

I unchecked Bitdefender as a startup program in MsConfig and then rebooted.

With Bitdefender not active I could then uninstall it without the program asking for the password.

Problem solved :)

• Ok then I guess this is closed.

This discussion has been closed.