Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

BD Antivirus v10 on XP and Vista

Options

Hi all.

I have been learning for a while how to get rid of most malware(spyware/adware) and have been using 3 programs to find and remove most.

Before running those programs, If I run BD, the spyware detection is VERY limited. Does not seem to do a very good job at detecting spyware. Virus, it seems good at and from all the revews it seems BD is top notch on virus detection.

After running BD, I would run those other 3 programs which are listed below and if I don't run these programs in a while, they find a lot.

I know each program will find something different but BD seems to be only a hair above Windows Defender when it comes to spyware detection.

Any word on if BD will get better at detecting spyware/adware?

These are the programs I use for detecting and removing spyware/adware.

1. XoftSpy SE

After running Xoftspy, usually the 2 below and BD don't find anything spyware/adware related.

2. Spybot S&D

2. Adware Pro

Comments

• Niels
    Options

Hi JGray152

You may not forget that Softwin solutions are in general antivirus products that offer some spyware protection. Softwin his malware capacities are good if you compare it with other antivirusvendors. You don't have just to rely on the antispyware part of BitDefender.

Xsoftspy se have sometimes lots of false positivs in the past it was listed on the rogue antispyware list. It's delisted now. You can see it here : http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-s...re.htm#xos_note

Regards

Niels

• JGray152
    edited April 2007
    Options

Ya I think it has come up with only 1 false positive for me and I wouldn't even call it a false positive, it tells you what the risk is and with this one item it say something like "May be suspicious" or somthing like that. The rest seemed true, but like I said, I have been learning and there is still more to learn.

BTW, everything that I have read seem to talk about the older versions of Xoftspy and not the new version that I have. I had to talk with them about my seriel cause I installed it on to many computers at the house, they responded quickly and helped me out, gave me a new SN to use. I have zero complaints about the company them selves. The Product seems VERY legit, I don't know what version they are talking about when they say it finds to many false positives.

The only complaint that I have is that its not Vista compatible :(

The only reason I ask for it to get better is because when you install BD in vista and I think in XP, it asks you if you want to disable windows defender. Which is all fine and dandy but if it wants you to disable it, it should do a better job at spyware detection.

I know they mainly concentrate on virurs which is fine. I Just don't think its right to have BD ask if you would like windef to be disabled when BD is not the best either and does not stop malware from loading onto the computer, even though there is an option called "scan for riskware" in realtime protection and it doesn't even find anything.

Thats my only concern about the spyware portion of BD.

Thanks for the reply :)

• The only complaints that I have about xoftspy se is that its not Vista compatible :(

Its funny, when I was researching malware detection programs earlier this year, xoft spy was about number 2 or 3 on the top ten list. Now all of a sudden its number 16 or something. There is a spyware program that is number 1 that I think I will get some day since it does realtime scanning.

I was also thinking of using Process Gaurd at one time.

• Niels
    Options

I have used windows defender without any problems in conjunction with BitDefender. The only realtime protection of an antispyware that could cause conflicts is with Spy Sweeper. But it could be solved now. You can ingnore the message. I downloaded it and it detected files in the hosts file as an high risk while I add them to block them but xsoftspy se reacts on it. That was gladly done.

• Ya I havn't had any issues with BD and WD working together either.