Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Infected But Bitdefender Can't Find It

Options

Hi all,

I have been infected by a rather bad virus.

Bitdefender cannot find anything wrong on my computer.

It started off with a video file I could not delete. It then proceded to take up 100% of my CPU by EXPLORE.EXE. I solved that by going into safe mode and I have been able to delete the file. I thought that was the end of it.

Now however Bitdefender won't even update anymore as its unable to connect to the server. Nor can any of my online games, Tversity does not work anymore or my online poker programs.

But, as you can see, my normal internet browser does still work.

What is wrong? And how can I fix it?

As bitdefender cannot find it, (and I did update again on the 30th) and now can't even update anymore.

Should I get another virus scanner?

Running win xp, with bitdefender v10.

Help would be much appreciated,

Sslust

Comments

• Niels
    Options

Hello Sslust

It isn't necessary a virus. Any program can just crash.

So as I read you are using BitDefender Antivirus 10 which is without a firewall. BitDefender Antivirus Plus and Internet Security have a firewall.

What firewall are you using? You have to see if livesrv.exe is allowed your firewall to use port 80. Check that also for your other applications that they are still being allowed to connect to the internet. Sometimes after an update of your firewall some rules could be changed. Here this site can help you how to open that specific port in your firewall : http://www.portforward.com/english/routers...routerindex.htm

You can try this also open BitDefender go to update,settings,primary update locations and change it to http://upgrade1.bitdefender.com

Regards

Niels

• alexcrist
    Options

Hi Sslust,

Take a look at this file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts (it doesn't have any extension. Just open it with Notepad). The content inside should be:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    #      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
    #       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost

If there are any other line under 127.0.0.1 localhost, you won't be able to access them. It is possible that the virus you had added in this file many addresses, including the antivirus update servers.

Delete everything in that file (except what you see above) and reboot. I hope this solves your problem.

Just an advice: next time you find just malware that BitDefender doesn't detect, before deleting it put it in a zip file protected by the password infected and attach it to a new topic on this forum. BD Virus Analysts will take a look at it and they will tell you exactly what is wrong and how to fix it (also, they will add a signature for that file and BD will detect it next time).

Cris.

• Niels
    Options

Hello Cris

You may find other entries in the hosts file because they could be placed by other security software but all these entries must be have the ip address of your default host 127.0.01 but you may not find any other ip-addresses or references to the server of BitDefender (upgrade.bitdefender.com)

Regards

Niels

• Just an advice: next time you find just malware that BitDefender doesn't detect, before deleting it put it in a zip file protected by the password infected and attach it to a new topic on this forum. BD Virus Analysts will take a look at it and they will tell you exactly what is wrong and how to fix it (also, they will add a signature for that file and BD will detect it next time).

Cris.

Thanks for the replies so far, I am now at work, so I will try these suggestions tonight.

I did however think about doing that (the whole zipping and attaching) but seeing as the file was 700mb (a full feature film, ******, ******, that'll teach me) I thought better of it :)