Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Scan Issues

Options

Hi everyone,

I just purchased BitDefender '09 a month or so ago and am having some trouble. On one of my computers it runs just fine, and is happy as a clam. On each of the other two, it has at least one problem:

The first machine (Windows XP Home SP3 x86):

On this computer, most of BitDefender appears to work just fine, however it has trouble with the most important part: The scan functionality. I have the on-desktop display turned on, so the "File Zone" window sits in the corner of my screen with no activity. Also, when I go into the BitDefender user-interface and tell it to scan, it tells me that the scan has failed to execute. If I try to use the right-click context menu it gives me a "Scan Error" window that says "Failed to launch BitDefender Scanner." Whenever the time for the scheduled automatic scan comes around, I get a BitDefender window that says "The scanning process was not started in the required time interval. Press OK to close the BitDefender Antivirus Scanner." Finally, if I launch a manual scan from the Start Menu, a window comes up saying "Error initializing threat scanner. Please contact BitDefender support." I don't know what is happening, but obviously there's something weird going on.

The second machine (Windows Vista SP2? x64):

This computer has a less apparent problem, but probably nearly as bad. On this computer, BitDefender always starts up correctly when the machine boot_s, but then after some (inconsistent) period of time, it stops working. The "File Zone" window that I also have up there gets a big red X across it, and the main user-interface says "BitDefender services are not responding.", with an extended message below. On here as well, it does not scan properly and, since the main services are not responding, does not even try to launch the scheduled scans.

As you can imagine, I'm rather confused as to what exactly is going on, but I could use whatever help you all are able to offer. Thanks in advance!

-Roomon1

Comments

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello roomon1 ,

The scan issue that you encountered on your computer with Windows XP can be solved downloading and running the following patch : http://www.bitdefender.com/files/KnowledgeBase/file/patch_av32bit_X86.exe ://http://www.bitdefender.com/files/Kn...v32bit_X86.exe .

In order to provide you a correct resolution for the issue encountered on your Vista 64 computer , we need to look on some diagnoses reports generated on that system . For that , we have sent you an email that will help you obtain them . Please reply when you have time .

Thank you .

• Hi Alex,

Thanks for the link! So far it seems to have worked perfectly. As for the issues with my Windows Vista machine, the issue finally occurred again, and I sent you an email with the files the applications in the article you mentioned generated. You should be getting the email soon, and hopefully it will help.

Also, as it turns out, my third installation may be having trouble as well. I'd actually like to know what you think on that matter. The third machine is running the Release Candidate of Windows 7 (x64 build 7100). As I recall, Win7 isn't supported yet, but I think I may have found an issue that you can probably fix before you start supporting Win7. Basically, the computer crashes. I'm still not positive what is causing it, but several times I have had a Process Explorer window open at the time of the crash. One pattern I've noticed is that a BitDefender executable "livesrv.exe" is executing "upgrepl.exe" in all of the crashes I've had the Process Explorer window open. Again, I do not know whether or not this is causing the crashes, but it seems to be a possibility. Do you agree that this is possible? I also thought that as the execution of the above executables seems to coincide with the time registered on the update tab of the BitDefender user-interface, it might help to disable the automatic update feature of BitDefender. Again, would you agree that it is possible this could help?

Thanks for all your help!

-Roomon1

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello roomon1 ,

We have sent you an email as s response to your questions . Regarding the other questions in regards to Windows 7 . Unfortunately , until a final version of this operating system is released , the situations that you described may occur . As you said , there are some issues caused by the Update module of the BitDefender 2009 product and we are developing a fix in regards to this .When we will release the first version of BitDefender 2010 , which is fully compatible with this version of Windows , you should not encounter this type of crashes .

Thank you .