Scan Activity Bar Always Reappears

Hi.

As the problem with the reappearing scan activity is still there in the 2010 version :o , I decided to open this thread and put the link to the according thread in the 2009 board in it:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=12929

Greetings,

Trav

Comments

• Hello Travellinman ,

Please go to the next location : C:\Documents and Settings\<currentuser>\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles (Windows XP) or C:\Users\<curentuser>\AppData\Roaming\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles(Windows Vista) and look after the file called user_gensett.xml . Go to the next location http://www.sendspace.com/ , upload the file then post here the download link.

This location is hidden and you may want to follow the next steps in order to display it :

- go to your "Control Panel" and open "Folder Options";

- then go to the "View" tab and perform the changes listed below:

* check "Display contents of system folders"

* check "Show hidden files and folders"

* uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types"

* uncheck "Hide protected operating system files"

- click "Apply" and then "OK" to exit.

NOTE: On Microsoft Windows Vista you will apply the same steps except for selecting "Display contents of system folders".

Thank you .

• Hello Travellinman ,

Please go to the next location : C:\Documents and Settings\<currentuser>\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles (Windows XP) or C:\Users\<curentuser>\AppData\Roaming\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles(Windows Vista) and look after the file called user_gensett.xml . Go to the next location http://www.sendspace.com/ , upload the file then post here the download link.

This location is hidden and you may want to follow the next steps in order to display it :

- go to your "Control Panel" and open "Folder Options";

- then go to the "View" tab and perform the changes listed below:

* check "Display contents of system folders"

* check "Show hidden files and folders"

* uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types"

* uncheck "Hide protected operating system files"

- click "Apply" and then "OK" to exit.

NOTE: On Microsoft Windows Vista you will apply the same steps except for selecting "Display contents of system folders".

Thank you .

I upped it to http://www.sendspace.com/file/1mn428 .

Greetings,

Trav

• This issue should occur only if u had installed BD 2009 before BD 2010.

Simply delete user_gensett.xml from %systemroot%\system32 (just copy/paste it the Run prompt). Reboot.

Still though, if the issue reappears, please post.

• Interesting.. Yes, I had BD2009 installed before because I didn't know my license would work with BD2010, too - until I tried. But as I was having serious problems with BD2009 and Windows 7 Professional, I tried with the 2010 version.

I successfully deleted the file from the system32 folder (after running the command prompt as administrator). Actually, I don't really understand why there is something left from BD2009 that seems not to be needed anymore - I used the BD2009 uninstaller and that should erase all of the files and settings on a computer... Anyways, I thank you for your help and hopefully I will not be bugged anymore (otherwise I will report).

Greetings,

Trav

• At the moment it seems that this has solved my problem... let's hope this is true.

Unfortunately I did just discover a very similar bug some minutes ago. There's another setting which BD2010 "forgets" after a reboot - the warning about optional Windows Updates. I did exclude this from the warnings via the checkbox. However, after reboot, BD2010 keeps warning me about new optional windows updates and they are in the list of things to watch for again. At this point the checkbox is UNchecked. I have to check and uncheck again to make the optional updates disappear from the list again (until the next reboot...).

What's up with all this settings forgetting? You have to TRUST your antivirus application - but at the moment BD doesn't really give me that feeling anymore...

Is there a solution for this, too (I hope so)?

Greetings,

Trav

• Hello Travellinman

Thank you for reporting this sittuation . Please go to the next location "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop" and look after 2 BitDefender files :"vuscan.xml" and "winupdates.xml" . After that, upload them on a free upload website like:http://www.sendspace.com/ and post here the download links .

Thank you .

• Hi,

I have the Scan Activity Bar turned off in "Settings", but it keeps reappearing every time I log back in. If I right-click and select "Hide" it goes away for just that login session. If I go into BD Settings, and for the Scan Activity Bar I tick "Enable" and then disable it again then the Scan Activity Bar goes away, again only for the current session. If it's disabled in Settings, why does it appear?

Thanks,

Klitos

• Hello Klitos,

In order to solve this issue, please go to the next location:C:\WINDOWS\system32, look after a file called "user_gensett.xml" and delete it . Reboot your system after that and everything should be ok.

Thank you .

• Thanks Alex. I have edited that file and changed

<show_abar>1</show_abar>

to

<show_abar>0</show_abar>

which I guess should do it. If it doesn't work, I will just delete it and reboot as you instructed.

Regards,

Klitos