Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Vsserv Paralyzes Compuer

Options

vsserv.exe is paralyzing my computer. It happens for no obvious reason ie doesn't seem to be related to downloads, email arriving etc. vsserv runs and task manager shows it consuming ram at an increasing rate -it gets to over 200Meg. In task manger under the CPU tab it shows System Idle Process at 94 or so.

The hard drive is working like crazy and the computer cannot do anything. Tabbing between applications takes minutes. It is paralyzed. This state lasts for 10-25 min and then returns to normal.

BDIS 2008 build 11.0.17

Win xp Pro SP3

No other anti Virus on board. Have used the Norton removal tool to be sure.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello gary4925 ,

In order to be able to determine the exact cause of this issue , we have created you a support ticket : 200908241005904 and an email that will help you generate some diagnose reports have been sent to you . Please reply back with the files that we need for analysis .

Thank you .

• jonnyglobal
    edited September 2009
    Options
    vsserv.exe is paralyzing my computer. It happens for no obvious reason ie doesn't seem to be related to downloads, email arriving etc. vsserv runs and task manager shows it consuming ram at an increasing rate -it gets to over 200Meg. In task manger under the CPU tab it shows System Idle Process at 94 or so.

First, let me say for the record, I am a big fan of Bitdefender and have been using it since around 2006. I have not had any malware or virus issues since using it. It seems to catch everything very quickly. I do not think there is better protection on the market. That said, I have this same complaint.

This happens to me as well any time the automatic update runs. I have the same PC configuration as Gary and I am running BD 2009 (I have seen other people with 2010 still complaining). If you google, you'll find a lot of people who have an issue with the amount of memory used by vsserv.exe. I have not yet seen a good response to it and most forum moderators seem to think that 150 - 250 MB of memory usage is normal and fine since after the task runs, it will go back down. Vsserv.exe is also the highest user of virtual memory, pegged at the top by a long shot and it never takes second place in usage to any other app.

When in the advanced view and watching the 'file zone' and 'net zone' activity meters, both go to 'X' status when vsserv.exe is running and I completely lose internet access for any other applications. Also, the focus changes and any app I am using becomes temporarily frozen. Once vsserv.exe is done doing its thing (sometimes up to 4 or 5 minutes) everything goes back to normal. I do not think this is just related to the amount of memory being used (though it is a lot). I think the BD is actually restricting internet access so that all the bandwith will be devoted to the update. I also think that the application steals focus from other apps being used so even if you have enough memory, you're still dead in the water waiting for the update to complete.

Add to this that it seems that the auto update runs like once every 15 - 30 min and it can be really frustrating.

Gary, here's what I have done to work around BD getting in the way of my work:

1. Disable automatic updates while working

Since I leave my machine on all the time, there is plenty of opportunity for the computer to get automatic updates when I am not on it. So I go to updates and turn auto-update off (uncheck it) when I am working and don't want the update to disturb my session. BD will prompt you to pick how long to disable the updates. Go ahead and select to run on next restart or if you know how long you'll be wokring, select the appropriate timeframe. If you are going to leave your PC on after you're done working, go back in and enable auto-updates before leaving your PC.

2. For the real-time scan, make sure that you have it set to scan programs only (this isn't related to the vsserv.exe issue, but it will reduce the amount of work your PC has to do while you are in session). There is also a file size setting (scan files smaller than ...) so if you work with really large files like for film or music editing (I am doing music production myself), you can have it not scan those large files that you know you created and are safe.