Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Need Help With Advanced Settings

Options

Hi. I am a first time poster. I have had BitDefender Internet Security 2009 for several months now but just recently found this forum. I don't know why I didn't see a link to it on the offical site. Please forgive me if this post runs a little long.

I was hoping someone could help me with some settings in the Advanced view. I have looked at the advanced view before but mostly kept it on Basic view and let it do it's thing. I basicly want to increase my security as much as possible through advanced view and configure certain settings that are best for my set up.

First of all I have a router and three computers connected to it. In Advanced view > Firewall > Network it has Network configuration then under it there is Zones. This is not shown in Basic view. It shows "Local Area Connection" but the Trust level is blank. When I click on it it brings up another screen and I see my routers address. Should I allow the router address? This doesn't change my security does it?

Under Antivirus > Shield > Protection level. It is set to Default. I looked under the more detailed settings and some of the options are unchecked or turned off. Scan inside archives, Skip dialers and appilcations, etc. I'm not so sure about scan archives cause it says it will slow system down but should it be configured to detect dialers and applications? Also Default mode says it does not scan web traffic but Aggressive mode does. So should I set it on Aggressive mode?

Last question. In Firewall > Settings > Advanced settings brings up a window and one of the options is "Intrusion detection system" which is currently unchecked. This sounds like a good idea but when is a good time to use it? Will it produce many false positives?

The reasoning for all of this is that I have become more concerned with security lately. I have been reading up on new threats recently and read that you can get a virus from a ad on a website without even clicking on it or just by LOOKING at a website. Thank you for any help or advice you can give. Sorry again for the long post.

Comments

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello Scout,

First of all I have a router and three computers connected to it. In Advanced view > Firewall > Network it has Network configuration then under it there is Zones. This is not shown in Basic view. It shows "Local Area Connection" but the Trust level is blank. When I click on it it brings up another screen and I see my routers address. Should I allow the router address? This doesn't change my security does it?

You don't need to add your routers ip in the network Zones section . Here you have the possibility , if your computer is connected to a large network , to add the zone (IP's) of a computer which you want to grant full access to your computer . All traffic between your computer and a trusted computer is allowed . Also, you can block a computer from accessing the share folders from your PC in the same section . For a detailed description we suggest you check the page 223 of our user guide :http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/de...serguide_en.pdf .

Under Antivirus > Shield > Protection level. It is set to Default. I looked under the more detailed settings and some of the options are unchecked or turned off. Scan inside archives, Skip dialers and appilcations, etc. I'm not so sure about scan archives cause it says it will slow system down but should it be configured to detect dialers and applications? Also Default mode says it does not scan web traffic but Aggressive mode does. So should I set it on Aggressive mode?

The "Scan inside archives" and "Scan http traffic" options are unchecked by default so that the performance of your system to not be affected . That is why , a user , can check this options if he wishes .

"Scan http traffic" is an option that will make your Internet browsing a little bit slower , because every-time you will look on webpage the BitDefender Real Time Protection will scan the packets received . It is your choice if you want to have this option checked .

Last question. In Firewall > Settings > Advanced settings brings up a window and one of the options is "Intrusion detection system" which is currently unchecked. This sounds like a good idea but when is a good time to use it? Will it produce many false positives?

Intrusion detection system (IDS) - activates the heuristic monitoring of the applications trying to access network services or the Internet.In some situations there were issues caused by this feature but it should work without any problems. Git it a try and let us know if you encountered any problems with it .

Thank you .