Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Automatic Update Problem

Options
post-14196-1251940662_thumb.jpgpost-14196-1251940687_thumb.jpgthis is an example of my problem running on xpsp2 x86, the small box will display it's self after each update or sometime in between saying in need to re boot to finalize the update, the update setting are per default ,and i can tell you that the only thing that will be getting any sort of booting will be this bdis2010 pile of useless tosh,with no fixes released this should be a priority not take weeks or more like months as will most probably do, im giving it a week before i reach the stage of hitting that uninstall button,can someone at bd tell me please when exactly is this going to be fixed????

Comments

• so this happens ever single time the program updates? I get the reboot message once and a while but usually when it runs a major update. If you click "ok" instead of reboot does the program still work or will it go gray in the system tray?

• so this happens ever single time the program updates? I get the reboot message once and a while but usually when it runs a major update. If you click "ok" instead of reboot does the program still work or will it go gray in the system tray?

Hi, not every time but most times,even when there is not available update to download???, it will also check for updates out of sequence (just after a successful update or in be tween the 1 hr default time) sometimes it will stop responding (go grey)due to this,(o/s win xp pro sp2 x86)

How ever it seems to work with less of these errors on vista x64 o/s???

• you can always click on the check box "wait for reboot instead of prompting" and you should not see that box anymore. However how often are you restarting normally? On mine i restart every few days maybe so I dont want to have the AV running there with no update for 3 days. Also half the time it goes gray in the system tray and will stop responding until you reboot. Seems like crap to me.

• you can always click on the check box "wait for reboot instead of prompting" and you should not see that box anymore. However how often are you restarting normally? On mine i restart every few days maybe so I dont want to have the AV running there with no update for 3 days. Also half the time it goes gray in the system tray and will stop responding until you reboot. Seems like crap to me.

Since my last post in this topic i have watched it perform it's update , here is the sequence of events ,it starts the update sequence checks and downloads the update files,then i get the box wich reads

"bitdefender services have been switched off temporarily for an update, (vsserv.exe)

then it goes back to the update settings screen both firewall &file activity get red crosses and it grays out, with the update screen still saying its installing updates,(even though it did not download anything)

or the is scenario 2, where it downloads some files, installs them successfully,then stops vsserv.exe as above,then re-loads that service after around 20-30 secs,both the fire wall and file activity return to clear, then the re-boot box appears, i select ok, it then checks again for updates??? says it's installing them, then gives the needs reboot to finish in orange text, if i ignore this after a few minutes it too will go, ending with no update available in green displayed?? well i can't work out why it checks twice but does, i think this is the reason behind it,oh and should you try to clear this problem by checking for updates yourself, then you end up with the grayed out taskbar icon,lol instead of no update available message as you would always get in 2008 products unless there was files to download of course , thats why i'm doing all this complaining as this ain't acceptable i have never had to re boot my pc so many times and nor do i envisage doing so for much longer,as i have already said it may well work good in 6mths time from now but it should not be this way,obviously the people who write the reviews only say what they are told by the publishers they don;t test them at any great length,the same can be said for game publishers too who never fix things with their products, in my opinion bit defender need to get these issues fixed and quickly, their support is a waste of time especially the live chat,

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello davey,

As a workaround for the update issue that you encountered on we recommend you to follow the steps bellow:

1. Start your computer in Safe Mode .

- Restart the computer;

- Press the "F8" key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load;

you need to press "F8" until you will be displayed a text menu;

- Select "SAFE MODE" in the text menu and press "Enter"

- Wait while Windows loads in Safe Mode; this process ends with a confirmation

message; click "OK" to acknowledge.

2. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Threat Scanner\av32bit_xxxxx . Here open the latest av32bit_xxxxx folder and delete these 2 files:

versions.dat (also followed by numbers and letters)

versions.id (also followed by numbers and letters)

- restart the computer normally, set the BitDefender update to Default and check if the issue re-occurs

3. If the above steps did not solve the encountered issue, please go to the BitDefender main window of the software installed on the computer and select the Settings button, choose the Expert Mode then click on Ok. Please select the Update module in the left part, then select the Settings the tab in the upper part and check the option 'Wait for reboot, instead of prompting'. Then click on Apply and close the BitDefender window and check if the issue still occurs.

Thank you .

• Hello davey,

As a workaround for the update issue that you encountered on we recommend you to follow the steps bellow:

1. Start your computer in Safe Mode .

- Restart the computer;

- Press the "F8" key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load;

you need to press "F8" until you will be displayed a text menu;

- Select "SAFE MODE" in the text menu and press "Enter"

- Wait while Windows loads in Safe Mode; this process ends with a confirmation

message; click "OK" to acknowledge.

2. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Threat Scanner\av32bit_xxxxx . Here open the latest av32bit_xxxxx folder and delete these 2 files:

versions.dat (also followed by numbers and letters)

versions.id (also followed by numbers and letters)

- restart the computer normally, set the BitDefender update to Default and check if the issue re-occurs

3. If the above steps did not solve the encountered issue, please go to the BitDefender main window of the software installed on the computer and select the Settings button, choose the Expert Mode then click on Ok. Please select the Update module in the left part, then select the Settings the tab in the upper part and check the option 'Wait for reboot, instead of prompting'. Then click on Apply and close the BitDefender window and check if the issue still occurs.

Thank you .

ok, having followed the above instructions,but the fault was still occurring,I took a gamble and deleted the same type files that were in similar in name sub folders (AV32Bit ......14260 /14261 ect, in the same folder(threat scanner)and for now it works ok, so hopefully it's gonna stay working,

just to answer a question in a reply above: if i selected the wait for re-boot option, i would not get the re-boot box, but the vsserv.exe fault of stopping would still occur and looking at the log entries in the history it indicates that it downloaded files and the file names,each hour as it is set by default to do, but it would appear not to of installed them as it usually would enter as follows:

ACTION NAME ACTION TAKEN TIME DATE

downloaded files the update files were successfully downloaded time date

update performed successfully the anti malware engines and signatures were updated successfully time date

but were in fact doing this:

update performed successfully the anti malware engines and signatures were updated successfully time date

downloaded files the update files were successfully downloaded

no indication of those hourly updates being installed,hence why i had set it to default settings

• ok, having followed the above instructions,but the fault was still occurring,I took a gamble and deleted the same type files that were in similar in name sub folders (AV32Bit ......14260 /14261 ect, in the same folder(threat scanner)and for now it works ok, so hopefully it's gonna stay working,

just to answer a question in a reply above: if i selected the wait for re-boot option, i would not get the re-boot box, but the vsserv.exe fault of stopping would still occur and looking at the log entries in the history it indicates that it downloaded files and the file names,each hour as it is set by default to do, but it would appear not to of installed them as it usually would enter as follows:

ACTION NAME ACTION TAKEN TIME DATE

but were in fact doing this:

no indication of those hourly updates being installed,hence why i had set it to default settings

Well it would seem that the update problem is solved,thanks!!, just by deleting those and an extra 2 sets of files in your instructions, i do have one question why do some app's that access the net, use different cmd line parameters each time they try and access the net,or at least appear to???this usually is when they auto check for updates, BTW swd6 still installed, i doubled checked the stuff set to load at start up it is not on the list(as i already thought) as if it was it would be really slow loading the o/s etc or freeze(hang) at start up,