Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Registry Danger

Options

Hi

Before I begin I want you all to know that I'm a total n00b to all of this, so please go easy on me.

I have BitDefender 2010 Security Suite. I pressed the Clean Registry button > After the scan was finished I get this long list of Keys (all ticked)

Do I delete them Keys ? If I do so .. will my system function normally ? Or will I get lots of Problems ??

On all the Keys it says "Danger level: Medium " << This makes me scared :(

Should I press Delete or not ?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank You.

Comments

• Here is a screenshot of what Keys I mean >> http://i26.tinypic.com/2vlqs77.jpg

Do I delete them Keys .. or should I click Cancel ?

Please Help :(

• Hello Ciwan,

Generally, there shouldn't be any problem deleting invalid keys detected by BitDefender Registry Cleaner. If the worst case scenario does happen, then any changes made by BD Registry Cleaner can very easily be restored by using Tune-up -> Recover registry.

Everytime you use Registry Cleaner, all changes are backed up and can be restored with a few clicks.

So I'd say it's safe to delete them.

Cris.

• Hello Chris,

I tried yesterday recovering my registry to get a message telling me that windows can't find 'C:\\windows\regedit.exe' and when I clicked ok I got that 'Administrative rights are required to continue this operation'. I have administrative rights over my account in windows. Could this file have been deleted by BD because it was infected? I can't access regedit.exe neither taskmgr.exe. I can see their icons in their locations but I'm always told ' they don't exist'. what is the problem here?

Fida

Hello Ciwan,

Generally, there shouldn't be any problem deleting invalid keys detected by BitDefender Registry Cleaner. If the worst case scenario does happen, then any changes made by BD Registry Cleaner can very easily be restored by using Tune-up -> Recover registry.

Everytime you use Registry Cleaner, all changes are backed up and can be restored with a few clicks.

So I'd say it's safe to delete them.

Cris.

• Fida, what you describe sound very much like an infection (blocked task manager and regedit, with administrative warning message).

Please create a new topic for your problem and post there logs of Avis and Gmer (as described HERE).

Cris.

• hi, i got a virus on my machine a couple of years ago,it downloaded some fake av programe, changed my screen saver to one it d/l'd lots of pop up's made the system realy slow, link's to **** sites appeared on my desktop, , bd was installed but was not responding,lucky for me ,i have a dual o/s,so using my other o/s i killed some of it by going to the locations that bd pointed out but was unable to delete or quarantine, after wich i was able to use the infected o/s partition, i ran spyware doc , that nuked the rest of the infections causing the pop up's, ect, but my task mnger, and reg edit had been blocked too, these can br unblocked from within going to the group policies editor

First of all, you should have administrator privilege.

if you have enough privilege then open group policy by the typing gpedit.msc in run box then go on user configuration >>Administrative Templates >> System >> Prevent access to registry editing tools >> Right Click Properties >>Disabled/Enable and from within this same menu, you should see ctl alt ,del options, double click it ,and it should be un configured, if not then set it to unconfig(default)

• davey, taking actions to unblock taskmanager or regedit before stopping active infections is completely useless, because within seconds those tols will be blocked again.

Also, the original question posted by Ciwan won't involve any infections, so if you want to post advices for Fida, please wait for him/her to open a new topic. There is no use discussing 2 completely different issues at one place, as it can only cause chaos. Thank you.

Cris.