Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Antivirus 2010 Slows Internet Speed Considerably

Options

Forgive me if this has already been covered, but I could not find a thread. I installed BitDefender Antivirus 2010 and have noticed a marked slowdown of my Internet speed, which is disastrous for me, as I live in the boonies and get a measly 26.4 Kbps via a primitive dialup connection. I contacted customer support (via e-mail) and sent them two files they requested, BDFileInfo.log and sysdump.tar. Upon receiving these files they gave me this fix: to first remove the expired 2009 version using their removal tool and then to download a specific installation kit using a particular URL, (http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/desktop/antivirus/final/en/msi2010/setup.exe) and install it.

These were the exact files and steps I used when I first installed it. I am at a quandary as to whether to do it over again in implementing the fix, as it took me hours (especially in downloading the updated antivirus definitions) to do the first installation. Has BitDefender made changes to the installation kit since September 10th that would repair my slow Internet speed problem? Is there a patch or update to remedy this problem? Thanks….hobbled in Missouri.

Comments

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello MOman,

The current installation kit is no different then the one you downloaded on September 10th and also it has nothing to do with the functionality of BitDefender on your computer, if it was properly downloaded. It is only a file that you run in order to install BitDefender and only the installed program may interfere with the functionality of your computer.

Since you have a BitDefender product that does not have a Firewall module included, we recommend you for start, to stop the Windows Firewall or any other firewall that you may have installed, then test again your Internet connection .

Now, in order to troubleshoot this issue we recommend you make the following changes in the BitDefender settings :

1. Open BitDefender, click on the Settings button then choose the Expert Mode.

2. Click on Antivirus and under the Shield tab, select the Advanced Settings button and disable the Active Virus Control feature.

3. In the same location, click on Custom Level and make sure that the following option are not checked:

- Scan http traffic

- Scan Yahoo Messenger traffic

- Scan Windows Live Messenger traffic

4. Now test to see if there are any changes in the speed of your Internet connection.

5. You can also, try to disable the Privacy Control feature to see if there are any changes after that .

Since you have a dial-up connection you should set BitDefender to download only the virus signatures updates, or to perform a complete update at a certain hour of the day when you do not use your computer.

In order to set BitDefender to download updates at a certain interval, under Expert Mode click on the Update module. After that click on the Settings tab from the right and under "Automatic Update Settings" you have the possibility to change the interval when BitDefender should make the updates .

If you want to install only the virus signatures updates, under "Confirm update" click on the option called "Prompt before downloading updates " and under "Manual Update Settings " click on the same option "Prompt before downloading updates " and click on the Apply button . Now, whenever an update is performed you will see that a new window will show up. You will have to choose only the Signatures updates and then click on Ok.

Let us know if the above instructions helped you .

Thank you .

• :) Thank you for replying so quickly and giving clear recommendations to solve my problems. I'll give them shot and report back.