internet security V10 upgrade infinite loop

I have a Prof V9 license and upgraded to isecurity V10. I didn't uninstall the old version (lots of software these days recognizes an old install and takes care of it for you...) I think that screwed the upgrade process.

When I try to install isecurity v10, I get a dialog box "Welcome to the BitDefender Internet Security v10 Setup Wizard"... then another dialog box: "Please restart your computer to install the new version of BitDefender Internet Security v10."

When I restart, and try the install again, I keep getting the same error.

After I read that I needed to un-install the v9 product first, I installed that successfully.. rebooted... uninstalled it... rebooted.. then tried the v10 install. Same problem. I keep getting the message that I need to restart my computer. grrrrr.

I've run the jv16 power tools registry cleaner after uninstalling v9 to make sure nothing was still there.

What am I missing? Any ideas of how to get v10 installed?

TIA

Comments

• Hi Tom Nunamaker

Try to run the uninstall tool: http://www.bitdefender.com/files/Knowledge...all_Tool-10.exe

If that fails download also microsoft installer cleanup: http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9...1bd/msicuu2.exe

Install it and look to any references that has BitDefender of Softwin in the name or just numbers. If you see any references select them and press on remove. Reboot your pc and try to install again.

Regards

Niels

• I didn't uninstall the old version (lots of software these days recognizes an old install and takes care of it for you...)

You are right, many programs take care of previous installed versions. But this is not always very successful, because there might appear problems like this one.

To be sure you have absolutely no problems, you should always uninstall any previous versions before installing a new one.

It's always a better idea to make a "clean" install, then just update an older version.