Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Scan Crash On Hd

Options
jlastre
edited February 2022 in The Archive

BitDefender's Rescue CD is wonderful. Thank you for making it freely available. It runs fine on my system HD (Maxtor) and on a Western Digital but the scanner crashes on a second WD HD. I can get the exact model of the HD tomorrow if you would care to have it but I am currently scanning my system. I have run diagnostics on the HD with tools WD provides for thier disks and there seems to be nothing wrong. I guess I can always attempt to do a chkdsk via XP.

Comments

• Hello Chillywilly,

Please be so kind as to tell us:

- what error message you receive when scanning that HDD;

- what type of connector do you use for connecting the HDD to the motherboard (IDE/SATA/USB) ;

- the exact version of the WD HD and motherboard that you use.

Thanks!

• Diana,

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for my tardy response. To answer your questions:

1. There was no error message. The scan ran on the HDD in question for approximately 15 minutes and puff it was gone. The Linux shell/OS (sorry if my nomenclature is off but I am a Linux noob) were left intact. I was able to reproduce this behavior. It's probably in some document that I overlooked but I am more then willing to look at a log if directed to its location.

2. The HDD in question (D:) is a slave to my system (C:) both are identified by the Bios as on the primary pin connector. I have 2 CD/DVDs on secondary. All are EIDE connected via IDE. I have a floppy on its own connector. One last thing that may matter is that my (E:) drive is on a PCI expansion card (Promise UltraATA133 Tx2 EIDE) so that I can have a 3rd HDD. The E: HDD (also a WD but different model) scans without a problem. I know it's a lot of junk. What can I say? I collect stuff.

3. The HDD is a Western Digital WD800JB-00CRA1. The motherboard is AsusTex P4T-E (Award BIos v.6).

If there are any other questions let me know. Thanks again.

John

• Unknown
    edited October 2009
    Options

Hello Chillywilly,

Please try the following:

Provided that the hard drive is labeled /dev/sda and the partition /dev/sda1(this may be different in your case, it depends on how Knoppix mounts the drives) please run the following commands:

su

then

umount /dev/sda1 /media/sda1

ntfsfix /dev/sda1

mount /dev/sda1 /media/sda1

Now try again to scan using:

bdscan --log=/root/bdscan.log

Now open up a new terminal and type:

tail -f /root/bdscan.log

In this new terminal you can see where the scan crashes or if it gives you any errors.

Thanks!

• It seems to me that data from scanner could be used to create STL files as well as gray scale bitmaps. I see no reason why the scanning depth could not also be increased. It would really be cool to be able to scan a larger object and then use the STL importer to slice it up for carving.