Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Please Help! Problem When Updating (can Not Connect)

Options

BitDefender Internet Security 2010 on Vista SP2

I haven't had an update since 3:24 p.m. yesterday. I tried going to Firewall/Rules/deleting the livesrv.exe and rebooting. That didn't work. I tried starting in Safe Mode, copying that v_live_s.xml file and pasting it into C/Program Files/Common Files/BitDefender/BitDefender Update Service, restarting in Normal Mode and that didn't work.

I went to support and they sent me an email with an attachment which I couldn't extract. The guy on chat told me that a manual update might fix the problem but he didn't send me a link to get a manual update. If someone reads this, could you tell me where I go to try and do a manual update? I'm about ready uninstall BDIS and go with something else. I'm so sick of this!

post-17054-1257382840_thumb.jpg

Comments

• AndreiRC
    edited November 2009
    Options

Same problem was posted here

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=16543

A lot of people are suffering from it. The manual update approach isn't working well either, because those updates get sometimes 'could not connect' message too. Some updates work (automatic or manual), some don't.

The manual update is done from the Update tab by clicking the Update Now button.

• But isn't there a place where you can download an update file and run it? Way back with versioin 2008 I know they gave me a link and had me do that once.

• Nikilet
    edited November 2009
    Options

After this reinstall tonight the update ran. It was 10141 KB in size and it took nearly 30 minutes to download and install. I have a high speed DSL connection so was really shocked at this.

The Quick Scan finished after I posted here so just for the heck of it, I clicked on Update Now, figuring it would tell me there were no updates. However, and update of 21136 KB downloaded and installed (in about 8 minutes this time) and now it tells me I have to restart. I bet this is that same major update that was released yesterday and which most probably caused all the problem. So after I restart I'll probably be back to square one!

• After this reinstall tonight the update ran. It was 10141 KB in size and it took nearly 30 minutes to download and install. I have a high speed DSL connection so was really shocked at this.

The Quick Scan finished after I posted here so just for the heck of it, I clicked on Update Now, figuring it would tell me there were no updates. However, and update of 21136 KB downloaded and installed (in about 8 minutes this time) and now it tells me I have to restart. I bet this is that same major update that was released yesterday and which most probably caused all the problem. So after I restart I'll probably be back to square one!

Using vista sp2 x64, bd is 2010 getting the same failed update error, i have like you done the copy &paste fix(did not work) i have tried to manually update too but it don't work either, it will check twice then fail both times it only goes to 85% out of the 100% then gives fail to connect error, or it does check to 100% but says no update avail, but will fail on next update attempt (but i have monitored the connections during it's check for update, and it does actually make(establish) a connection,even though it gives a error message saying it cannot??? It has also been left stuck icon greyed out following an update attempt,but i did find an alternative fix (other than re starting)by going to the bd folder in prog files(main folder) and clicking on the sleepy vsserv.exe and a few secs later bd sprung back into life,lol

It's a good proggy,never a dull moment,what i would like to know is

1, how much are we (beta testers) being paid for our troubles?

2, when will the fully 100% functional(as per advertisements) be released?

Well some one has to have a sense of humor don't they?, it's either that or go mad!!!!

prior to this major upgrade bd did update correctly now it no longer does so,good eh?,i thought the goal was to fix not kill this product???

As i also have a pc running XPSP2 x86(32bit) this after the copy &paste fix updates fine, as it should for now

• It's nice just to get a response Davey. It would be nicer if it were coming from BitDefender. My problem has changed a bit after my reinstall last night. I'm now getting a new screen. It no longer says "An error occurred during the update. (Could not connect)."

Now it just shows a big red circle with an exclamation mark in it. And the icon in my taskbar no longer shows a alert triangle. When I hover my mouse over it, it says "No issues are affecting the security status of this PC." Well, we both know if it isn't updating the security status is darned well affected.

Other than the fact that BD wouldn't produce a log unless I have UAC turned off, it was working fine until that update on Nov. 3rd and now everything has gone to ###### and apparently they don't know how to fix their fix.

I've about had it. It wouldn't be quite so bad to have problems if you could get some help from tech support but they apparently don't know the meaning of the term "tech support." We're running their program and aren't protected because it isn't updating and you hear nothing from them and here we all sit. It's not like this is no big deal. I absolutely can't figure out what they can be thinking.

I'm going to wait for a little while and if I haven't heard anything by sometime today I'm going back to 2009 and if they've done something to screw that up so it doesn't work I'm doing something else even though I have like 585 days left on my sub. I am sick and tired of being ignored and left high and dry every time I have a probelm.

post-17054-1257431167_thumb.jpg

• So the reinstall didn't help at all. I thought that would be the case. :(

I am waiting for a response from Tech Support as well. Some of my updates (automatic or manual) do work, like I said above. But it's a bit of a lottery and I'm not happy about it, obviously.

• Well i left bd to iut's own devices(to see if it would/could update) but ###### no,it aint capable,or bd sever is not, i have done lots of testing and no problems with my isp, their network,my pc wiring filters router,ect,ect, i can ping,tracert pathping the http address( upgrade.bitdefender.com average time 14ms)used for updates without any problem it's bit defender that has the problem, since the upgrade.or was that a downgrade to a product that does not update,ok i suppose if you are on the free 30day trial, but not if you are a subscribed customer and all these problems that should no longer be happening are using up our licence period each day they continue to cause problems with the basic running of this app, updates, scanner pc control,are just 3 areas that should be flawless 99%of the time not 10% as it is so far, here is a screen of the latest update that failed part way through the process after several failed attempts

post-14196-1257439935_thumb.jpg

• So the reinstall didn't help at all. I thought that would be the case. :(

I am waiting for a response from Tech Support as well. Some of my updates (automatic or manual) do work, like I said above. But it's a bit of a lottery and I'm not happy about it, obviously.

Do you do anything to make the updates work occasionally, or do they just work? If you do anything that makes it update please advise. If I can make it update I'll wait a little longer. Otherwise, I've decided I'm going back to 2009. I'm also going to check out some other options after I leave here. I wrote a long email to BD tech support as a reply to their last email to me on this problem. I don't have any expectation that it will do any good but I guess it made me feel better. Please respond if you have any workarounds that I could use to get this thing to update.

• I don't do anything in particular for the updates to work. I just keep on trying to do manual updates. Sometimes I have to try like 10 minutes in order for the update to stop failing and get done.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful. :(