Errors With Scanning And Patch Install

I have recently upgraded some client PC's from Internet Security 2009 to 2010 and one machine is having serious issues.

1. The application will not scan - when you press the button to start any type of scan it seems to start momentarily and then stops with no error and does not record that it has completed. Occasionally you get an error that it failed to execute the scan but this does not always occur.

2. In troubleshooting the above I tried applying 2 patch files as per the links on this forum thread: http://www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/consumer/#547 but this has done 2 things - changed the text of 2 scan entries in the main window to another language and gives an "access is denied" error when trying to install one of the patches.

The 2009 version was running fine until the recently purchased upgrade and I have done the following things trying to troubleshoot:

1. Installed 2 patches - 1 installed, 1 failed as above. No change in function after installation, scans still fail but language has changed on screen. See attached screen captures.

2. Uninstalled and reinstalled product. No change in function after reinstallation and still no change when tried to re-apply patches (same responses as above).

3. Removed Nero 6 from PC (I saw this as a possible cause in another thread). No change in function after removal and reboot.

The PC specs are Windows XP 32bit, 2gb ram, application installed to default locations.

Can anyone shed any light on what might be causing these errors?

post-29660-1260313265_thumb.png

post-29660-1260313279_thumb.png

Comments

• Hello smokey_58au,

In order to solve the issue encountered with the BitDefender Scan tasks, please follow the steps bellow :

1. Download the correct version of the "tasks_system.xml" from the next link : http://www.sendspace.com/file/abf36s .

2. Start your computer in Safe Mode :

- restart the computer;

- repeatedly press the "F8" key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load (you need to press "F8" until you will be displayed a text menu);

- select "SAFE MODE" in the text menu and press "Enter".

- wait while Windows loads in Safe Mode; this process ends with a confirmation message; click "Yes" to acknowledge.

3. Browse to the next location : C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles and copy here the "tasks_system.xml" downloaded earlier, choosing "Yes" when you will be asked if you want to replace the file.

4. Reboot your computer normally, open BitDefender in Expert Mode, click on Antivirus, then on the Virus Scan tab and this issue should be solved.

Now, if you are still not able to run a scan, we would like you follow the steps bellow :

1. Open My Computer.

2. Browse to

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

3. Doubleclick on the supporttool.exe file .(in case you have Windows Vista or Windows 7, right click on the the supporttool.exe file and choose "Run as administrator" )

4. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish .

5. Go to the desktop, upload the report on http://www.sendspace.com/ then send me a PM with the download link or reply to our email with the report attached .

Besides this report, please download the FileInfo tool from the next link. Run it, and 2 files will be generated:BDFileInfo.log and BDRegnode.reg . Please reply to our email with these reports attached or upload them on the same webpage and send me a PM with the download links.

We are looking forward to your reply.

Thank you.