Resuming Scan

How do i make the scan resume after reboot ? It is very annoying to start the scan all over again if due to some reason the computer restarts. Another problem i face is with automatic updates if i set automatic updates to 12 hours(or anything else) on rebooting it again updates, any help ?

Comments

• Hello lazyhols,

There is no way of resuming the antivirus scan after it has been stopped (manually, crashed, rebooted, or in any other case).

Also, about the update: when the system starts, BitDefender will check for updates. After that initial check, the check will repeat at the specified interval. So if you restart your computer, then yes, BitDefender will check for updates after you logon.

Cris.

• lazyhols
    edited January 2010

What if i pause it and then reboot ? It still won't resume ?

• No, it won't.

Let's put it this way: if you had an infection in your system, scanning part of a system, restarting sometime in the middle, and resuming after restart would be completely and absolutely useless. If there is an active infection in your system, then it would most likely fully "recover" itself at system restart, so whatever cleaning the antivirus does before restart would be "undone" once the system is restarted. So in this case, continuing an already compromised scan is useless.

Also, at system restart, the state of the system might change dramatically (files change, maybe system updates, system restore points creation, and so on and so forth), so there wouldn't be quite a good idea to try to resume a scan after restart.

Also, a scan is a program. A software like any other software. Once you restart/shut down your system, that software STOPS! And if the computer restarts in a force way (system crash, power failure, usage of the hard reset button, etc...), then it's simply impossible to resume the scan, because the software has no idea where it left off. And to continuously make scan logs with progress, current file, already scanned files and so on, with all scan details, so the scan could be resumed in case if system restart, that would be just too much of a hassle and would just take too much time and computing power. As a result, scanning speeds would decrease dramatically, and that is against all efforts of making the scan run faster.

So if you are running a scan, don't restart your system. If you really want to turn off your system, then just set the scan task to do so automatically after the scan is done. If you really have to restart the system during a virus scan, and the restart cannot be delayed until the scanning is done, then you'll just have to run the scan from the beginning after the system restarts.

Cris.