Boot Sector Virus/bios Virus Or Graphic Card Failure

Following a questionable file download:

I set my computer to do a deep system scan last night. When i woke up in the morning, the screen had strange graphical errors that prevented me from clearly seeing the desktop. I was unable to look at the virus scan log. I cut power to the computer and restarted it. During boot up there were graphical glitches on the bios screen. The computer booted very slowly, it was difficult for me to log on to the computer due to the graphical distortion. Once i got into windows, i was unable to open/clearly access bitdefender to look at the log.

1) the most logical explanation would be a video card failure. However that does not account for the excessive load times.

2) could i have contracted a boot sector virus? I opened the case and unplugged all non essential hard drives. With only the C drive plugged in i scanned it using Dban (a wipe program) and was told that the drive contained bad sectors.

I find it hard to believe that my primary hard drive and video card failed the same night. I am instead leaning toward the idea that i contracted a virus that has embedded itself in both my primary boot sector and my bios.

I first plan to remove and re-seat my video card. If this fails to remedy the issue, i will flash my bios, if this does not remedy the issue i will attempt to write 0's to my primary hard-drive and reinstall windows.

System specs are as follows:

ASUS P5B motherboard

Intel e6600 OC'd to 3.0 GHZ

XFX 8800 Ultra Extreme PCI-E video card

4GB Corsair Memory

1 Western Digital Raptor 150 GB (this is the boot drive)

2 Western Digital Black 640 GB

1 Samsung generic 7200rpm 250 GB

HT Omega Claro + Audio

700 Watt Power Supply

Windows XP

Running Bitdefender 2010

Due to the issue (whatever it may be) i am unable to access bitdefender to review the log file from last nights scan

Any suggestions or Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.