Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Rescue Cd With Wireless Lan?

Options
jrowland
edited February 2022 in The Archive

I can't imagine this has not come up before, but I've been searching for about an hour with no luck. So, I apologize in advance if the solution to this is already posted.

I have the latest Rescue CD image, and I am able to boot into the LiveCD without any problems. However, I cannot update the signatures because I cannot get the network to connect. I am behind a standard home linksys router with WEP encryption using DCHP. When I click on the "Networks" area, there is no place to enter my WEP passphrase, which is what I'm assuming is preventing me from connecting to my network.

Any ideas on how I can connect to my wireless router to get updated signatures? I'm not really in a convenient location to move my PC near my router to plug in a Cat5 cable, so I'm trying to avoid that at all costs.

I have read another post about bringing in the updates via USB drive, but I have not gone down that road yet - I'd prefer just to connect to the network, if I can.

Thanks,

Jimmy

Comments

• I am behind a standard home linksys router with WEP encryption using DCHP. When I click on the "Networks" area, there is no place to enter my WEP passphrase, which is what I'm assuming is preventing me from connecting to my network.

Hello,

Can you see your network listed after you booted from the Rescue CD ?

What type of wireless network device do you use in your computer ?

BitDefender Rescue CD is based on a Knoppix GNU/Linux Live CD distribution, Linux tends to have a rather limited support for wireless network cards.

If you can find your network than you should be able to connect to it, if you can't see it than maybe you should check if your wireless network device (the wireless network card or USB drive in your computer) is supported. If not, than I'm affraid you're gonna have to settle with one of the following :

- use a USB stick for updating the virusdatabase

- get a really long cable that connects your PC with your router or modem

- move your PC near your router or modem

• Can you see your network listed after you booted from the Rescue CD ?
    Hmmm.... where would I see a list of networks? When I click on the Network Access icon, and choose: "netcardconfig LAN or wireless access", I get an error stating "No supported network cards found". I assume if my card was supported, I would see a list of networks.

My system dual-boot_s Ubuntu 9.10, and when I'm in the linux OS, my wireless works just fine. I'm honestly not sure what kind of wireless card I have - it was there when I bought it. Is there a way for me to figure this out, or am I just out of luck based on the error message?

Thanks,

Jimmy

• Ubuntu 9.10 uses the latest stable version of the Linux kernel, the wifi-card on my laptop just recently got out-of-the-box support (I'm using Karmic Koala too).

As your wireless card works fine in Ubuntu you can find out what type it is by typing the following in a terminal while in Ubuntu :

lspci

which will list (ls) your pci devices (lsusb for usb devices) your wifi should be labeled as a network controller of some sort.

You could also check the Windows Device Manager to find out what type of Network cards are installed.

There's a way you can load Windows drivers for your wifi using NDISWrapper (right click on the Knoppix desktop > Admin > NDISWRAPPER tool) but since it seems to work under Ubuntu there should be linux drivers available on your computer allready.

I'm not sure if you could locate and load these drivers into your temporary Knoppix boot to enable your wifi. I should look into that, it seems like an interesting experiment (my laptops wifi isn't working in Knoppix either) if only I had more time. I'll give it a go soon and get back to you if I find a solution.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

• Thanks for the info. As far as the loading the drivers while in Knoppix environment, I'm afraid that's above my skill level. :^)

Anyway, here is the line returned for the network controller when I run lspci:

01:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

• Hello,

Soon it will be released a new version of Rescue CD based on Ubuntu that should contain all the necessary drivers and utilities needed to set up most of the wireless network adapters. Thank you

• Hello,

Soon it will be released a new version of Rescue CD based on Ubuntu that should contain all the necessary drivers and utilities needed to set up most of the wireless network adapters. Thank you

When is it going to be released ?