[duplicate] Registry Errors

Hi,

I'm running Windows XP Home SP3 and BD AV2010 V 13.0.19 as of tonights update.

I had trouble with AV2010 after installing it the first time (I had AV2009 installed and didn't uninstall first, I think that might have been the main cause). So I uninstalled both AV2009 and AV2010, deleted all BitDefender folders and files that I could find after that, and there were quite a few, then ran CCleaner and removed all left-over registry entries referring to BitDefender. After installing AV2010 again it seems to be working ok (one issue - see below). But now if I scan the registry again I get a number of "Missing Shared DLL" messages:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Threat Scanner\av32bit_000\bdc.exe HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls

C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Threat Scanner\av32bit_000\bdupd.dll HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls

etc.

and some similar "Installer Reference Issue" messages:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Threat Scanner\av32bit_000 HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders

and, in fact, when I go to the directory C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Threat Scanner\ there is NO av32bit_000 sub-folder, only av32bit_16824 and av32bit_16836

The "Installer Reference Issue" problem in particular probably means that when I try to uninstall BitDefender it will (again) leave some files and folders behind. I don't know what problems the Missing Shared DLL can cause, but probably something.

What should I do?

Another issue, that may or may not be related... I often got the "BitDefender Services are not responding" message and associated grey ball that every BD user is familiar with when I had AV2009, but there was a fix for AV2009 (copying a "ProductTweaks.xml" file into my profile folder) that actually seemed to work. Now that I'm on AV2010 the problem is back, although I don't get the grey ball, just the message pop-up when I mouse over the icon in the task bar. vsserv.exe is actually running. Is there are patch for this bug for AV2010?

Comments

• Hi,

I'm running Windows XP Home SP3 and BD AV2010 V 13.0.19 as of tonights update.

I had trouble with AV2010 after installing it the first time then ran CCleaner and removed all left-over registry entries referring to BitDefender.

Hi Robertwinz!

When we installed BD IS 2010, it did not fully deinstall BD IS 2008 as it should have done. Too bad. But it works indeed. Well it has been working no better no worse than BD 2008. So I let it untouched.

I do not know BD 2009.

Ccleaner and BD does not like each other!

So be careful!

I have been using Ccleaner for more than one year, it is very useful to use the cleaner to clean cookies, internet craps and we have no problems, but it is dangerous to use the registry part, especially because CCleaner consider most of BD files as invalid or orphan.

The first time I suppressed BD "invalid" files with Ccleaner, I had to reinstall BD.

O.K, now I check the registry mode of Ccleaner to suppress if possible programs I deinstalled but I do not touch the Bit Defender "orphan" or "invalid" dll, etc.

Same problem with other cleaning software such as Regcleaner (an old one) or Registry First Aid.

As far as your Bit defender works fine and your computer as well, do not pay attention to Ccleaner warnings. I'd rather let a few registry keys appeared as corrupted (are they really?) than reinstall BD or worse: everything if windows breaks down.

If your BD does not work, you could reinstall it through the usual Start Program Bit Defender... or start in a safe mode after deactivating in the msconfig (configuration box in english?) to fully deinstall the software.

I have "grey" buttons issues too when opening the computer. Probably due to the Windows Live Messenger. But it turns back to red a few minutes later and the antivirus is back.

Here too, provided that bugs do not come too long in the process, I do not touch the software.

And I let registry errors quiet if they keep... quiet.

Let sleeping dogs lie! B)

Good luck!

I hope an expert will answer you. :)

Time for me to go to bed!.

• Hello robertwinz and Lionet,

This matter has already been discussed before on the forum. Please read this topic: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=17318

If you have further questions/comments on this subject, please post in the above topic. Thank you.

Cris.

== CLOSED ==

== Duplicate issue ==

This discussion has been closed.