A Couple Of Quick ?s

I just recently purchased BitDefender and after reading through everything in the Help files, I'm still unclear on some things:

1 - What is the "Enable Intrusion Detection" option in the Firewall section?

2 - If I have the antiphishing enabled in the user interface section, do I still need to have the antiphishing toolbar visible when surfing the net?

3 - If I were to enable Identity Control, is that a moot point if I don't enter any rules regarding credit card numbers and the like? I never click on links in an email from a bank or shopping site. I open a new window and go straight to the website.

Thanks for any clarification!

Comments

• Hello Sheba,

1 - What is the "Enable Intrusion Detection" option in the Firewall section?

It's a part of the Behavioral scanner module. It works just like the Active virus control (also, IDS uses the same white list as AVC), but it's based on the network protection (applications that somehow try to breach the firewall).

Both AVC and IDS are designed to detect suspicious behavior that might suggest the presence of an infection. However, the alerts shown by these 2 modules might target legit and clean files.

2 - If I have the antiphishing enabled in the user interface section, do I still need to have the antiphishing toolbar visible when surfing the net?

No, you don't need to have the toolbar visible, but you need to have the browser plugin enabled. I don't know if in Internet Explorer the toolbar can be hidden without disabling the whole plugin, but in Firefox this is possible.

3 - If I were to enable Identity Control, is that a moot point if I don't enter any rules regarding credit card numbers and the like? I never click on links in an email from a bank or shopping site. I open a new window and go straight to the website.

Yes, if you don't add any rules, Identity Protection will be pretty much useless, in which case you can disable it.

Cris.