Bitdefender Can't Install Or Remove

I used Bitdefender 2008, which was a great tool. But like most good things they run out, so I decided to upgade to 2010.

I downloded the files and run the MSI file and it came up wth a Error "The installer has insufficient privelages to modiy this file C:\Program files\Common files\BitDefender Threatscanne\TBDA.TMP"

I am the Admin so that ain't no issue.

I figure then that I'll uninstall the Bitdefender so I use windows "remove progam" tool in "control panel"

It came up with an error which I can't remember, but it was saying basiclly it couldn't find something.

Then I downloaded the uninstall tool from Btdefender. Ran it it came up with whole list of problems that I couldn't get a list of. but finally finished with requiring reboot, that sounded ok but nothing is differant

I have a msi install log file if this will help.

Comments

• I used Bitdefender 2008, which was a great tool. But like most good things they run out, so I decided to upgade to 2010.

I downloded the files and run the MSI file and it came up wth a Error "The installer has insufficient privelages to modiy this file C:\Program files\Common files\BitDefender Threatscanne\TBDA.TMP"

I am the Admin so that ain't no issue.

I figure then that I'll uninstall the Bitdefender so I use windows "remove progam" tool in "control panel"

It came up with an error which I can't remember, but it was saying basiclly it couldn't find something.

Then I downloaded the uninstall tool from Btdefender. Ran it it came up with whole list of problems that I couldn't get a list of. but finally finished with requiring reboot, that sounded ok but nothing is differant

I have a msi install log file if this will help.

Hi whaddy!

When I bought the 2010 version, it did not fully deinstall the 2008 version.

Maybe you could check with a software dedicated to cleaning, such as Ccleaner (free) or RegistryFirtAid or some other soft.

The analysis will probably show you the old software was not deinstalled completely.

Two other tips/questions:

1) Check the msconfig, if the sofltware can be seen, deactivate it in the msconfig, start with a safe mode to deinstall completely the software. (I had to use this procedure with several soft).

Then run Ccleaner to check in the file part, or the registry part to suppress any invalid dll from the old version. then the computer has no longer old files.

And maybe you could avoid the "The installer has insufficient privelages to modiy this file" and to bypass it with the safe mode?

And in the end you could suppress in the explorer (in safe mode) what is left of files.

Quite a procedure I used several years ago to deinstall Norton completely...

msconfig + safe mode (if necessary) + ccleaner (I used regcleaner in fact)

Your WIndows firewall should be deactivated. (you could just activate it for the download and surfing on internet, and deactivate it for the installation, as far as I know.

Does it help to bypass the The installer has insufficient privelages to modiy ?

Good luck, I'm running out ideas... :huh:

L.