Large Footprints Of Bitdefender

The Bitdefender Total Security 2010 consumes very large footprints of more than 700 MB.

C:\Program Files\BitDefender 162 MB

C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender 601 MB

While in the “Add or Remove Programs” it displays size “171 MB”. But the actual Bitdefender size on hard is about 760 MB.

Why such a large space required for this Bitdefender product? If there are any temporary files of Bitdefender, how can I delete them?

Comments

• Why a huge space required for this Bitdefender product? If there are any temporary files of Bitdefender, how can I delete them?

• Hi ONT,

The issue you encounter is because, when a computer is added to a Home Network and set as Update Server then, for each computer on that network updates will be downloaded so BitDefender can update regardless the product installed on the computer.

As an example: if you have Bitdefender Total Security on your computer (PC1) and 2 more computers in the same network with BitDefender Antivirus (PC2) and BitDefender Internet Security (PC3) then, when the PC1 is set as update server and you update remotely PC2 and PC3 using the network then the updates files will be saved on the PC1.

The files are stored on C:\program files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Arrakis Server considering BitDefender installed on the C drive.

Considering the above you can find temporary files on C:\program files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Arrakis Server\var\tmp.

The number and size of temporary files stored on the server computer depends on the number of computers added into the Home Network.

Regards,

• Hello DanyDan

That's not the my case you explained. Nether I enable "Home Network" nor set my laptop as "Update Server". Although my laptop is on network but its definitely not Bitdefender Home Network.

Regarding "C:\program files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Arrakis Server\var\tmp.", I found it empty. But I found below two files having path "C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\Setup Information\{028FF35A-9CFD-4653-9E5B-9667BD72D6AF}"

pluginsx86 73.3 MB

bdts 88.2 MB

I want to know what are these files and is it safe to delete "Setup Information" folder containing these files?

Also what is the purpose of file named "Linkinstaller" having path "C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender"?

• Unknown
    edited May 2010

I am also using Total Security 2010 on this computer and having the exact same 2 files: bdts.msi and pluginsx86.exe I STRONGLY recommend you NOT to modify/delete any of those files as they are part of the installed software.

Regarding the Linkinstaller please provide me with more details.

• Hello DanyDan

What type of detail you need about "Linkinstaller".? Is this file not present in your PC at above said path.? May I send this file to you by PM.

However Linkinstaller properties snapshot is attached.

post-31288-1274503326_thumb.jpg

• Please send me a sample via PM of the 'LinkInstaller' file. Make an archive using WinRar or WinZip and password protect it with the password 'infected'. Have you installed BitDefender via online installer at http://www.BitDefender.com or you used the full installation kit file (180M for Total Security 2010 32bits) ?

Regards,

• I don't know exact steps how to send attachments by PM. Would you like to guide me in this regard?

• Hello,

Please upload the archive(s) here

Then send me the download link(s) via PM.

Regards,