Missing System Tasks

I am using Total Security 2010. I receive an alert in the desktop system tray, and on the Bit Defender General tab/ Dashboard, that 1 issue is affecting the security status of the PC. When I click 'fix all issues', I receive a message that the PC has never been scanned - which is not true. When I click 'Start', the fix fails. I am missing the System Tasks (Deep System Scan, System Scan, Quick System Scan, and Auto-Logon Scan), located in Antivirus-> Virus Scan. When I click choose a User Defined Task scan - either 'My Documents' or 'New Task' (AntiVirus -> Virus Scan), the scan completes, but the security alert remains in the desktop system tray, and in the Bit Defender General tab/ Dashboard. Any Suggestions?

Comments

• Mihaela M.
    edited April 2010

Hello saj,

At this moment there is a known incompatibility between BitDefender and the Ask Toolbar software. Ask Toolbar is not a stand-alone software, and it is always part of another one. Uninstalling it will not affect the functionality of the other software. Please go to Start -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs / Programs and Features and uninstall the Ask Toolbar software. Then restart the computer and check if the issue still occurs.

If none of the steps above solved this Scan issue, please follow the steps below:

1. Restart the computer in Safe Mode.

[How to restart in Safe Mode]

- Restart the computer (Windows Start button - Turn Off - Restart);

- Press the F8 key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load; you need to press F8 until you will be displayed a text menu;

- Select SAFE MODE in the text menu and press Enter.

- Wait while Windows loads in Safe Mode; this process ends with a confirmation message; click OK to acknowledge.

2. Browse to the C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010\Ini\Default' folder and find the 'task_system.xml' file. Right click on it and select the Copy option.

3. Browse to the

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles folder for Windows XP

or to the

C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles folder for Windows Vista

or to the

C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles for Windows 7

4. Select Edit and Paste in order to copy the correct one from the 'Ini\Default' folder, replacing the existing one.

Please follow the steps below in order to be able to see that folder:

[how to DISPLAY HIDDEN OBJECTS]

- go to your 'Control Panel' and open 'Folder Options';

- then go to the 'View' tab and perform the changes listed below:

* check 'Display contents of system folders'

* check 'Show hidden files and folders'

* uncheck 'Hide file extensions for known file types'

* uncheck 'Hide protected operating system files'

- click 'Apply' and then 'OK' to exit.

NOTE: On Microsoft Windows Vista you will apply the same steps except for selecting 'Display contents of system folders'.

For more information you can read the following article:

http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB354-en--Reveal...em-folders.html

Then restart the computer in Normal mode and check if the issue still occurs.

Thank you.