No Icon In System Tray

Hi,

I've just noticed that the bitdefender icon is not showing up on my system tray. This is only happening on one of the three computers that have BD installed in my house. I have it installed on a laptop running XP, a desktop running W7-64 and a laptop running Vista-32. Only the latter (Vista) is missing the system tray icon.

Is there a way to have the icon back in the system tray?

Thanks,

Cody

Comments

• I am facing the same problem too.

Actually this occur randomly. Sometimes the Bitdefender Icon appear in the system tray and sometimes not. Also when it don't appear then "On-access" file scan also not working even I select infected file.

I am experiencing this issue soon after I updated to Ver 13.0.20.

I am using Bitdefender Total Security on a Laptop with Windows XP SP3,Home Edition, 32bit.

I reinstall Bitdefender but the issue remains.

• I also have this problem. From what I read on the net, this is a bug in Windows - apparently, BD takes longer to start up than Windows is willing to wait (4 seconds). See this article for a complete explanation and possible solutions.

• Mihaela M.
    edited April 2010

Hello all,

In order to fix this issue please follow the steps:

1. Go to Start from Windows-> click on Run.

2. Type the command: msconfig.

3. Please go to the Startup tab and make sure that the box next to bdagent is checked.

If not, please open MyComputer go to C:\program Files\Bitdefender\BitDefender 2010 and double click on bdagent.exe, if you will receive an error message please provide us with it, if it will work check if the BitDefender icon appear in the System Tray.

You can also try to repair BitDefender by going to the START menu button -> All Programs -> BitDefender 2010 -> Repair or Remove.

Follow the on-screen instructions and restart the computer each time you are requested to. Test to see if the issue still replicates.

Thank you.

• Hello Mihaela

I already performed the steps you suggested after the release of Bitdefender build 13.0.20 as the subject issue occur immediately after updated to this Version. But the problem was still, but however the problem is not going to appear since last week may be solved through updates.

However if the issue persist, I'll add reply to this post.

• I just faced the same issue upon restarting the PC although "bdagent" is checked in msconfig startup items.

• Hello Mihaela

I already performed the steps as instructed by you, but still facing subject issue.

The reported issue occur in random manner.

I even re-install Bitdefender but got same results.

• Hi ONT,

In order to troubleshoot the issue you are encountering, we would like you to follow the steps below:

1. Click on Start and select Run (for Vista you have the search box);

2. Type 'cmd' and hit Enter;

3. Type

cd %programfiles%/bitdefender/bitdefender 2010

and hit Enter;

4. Type

supporttool.exe /vsservtrace on

and hit Enter;

5. A popup should appear asking you to reboot the PC. Reboot the PC. If you are not asked to restart the PC, please do so on your own;

6. Open BitDefender and reproduce the issue a couple of times;

7. Click on Start and then choose My Computer/Computer;

8. Browse to

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition;

9. Double left click on the supporttool.exe file - if you are using Vista or Windows 7, right click on the supporttool application file and select Run as Administrator;

10. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish;

11. Please also go to the desktop and send us the file that was created by the SupportTool;

Please reply with the Ticket ID you received in the email subject line. We will analyze the information you sent and then reply with a possible solution.

Thanks!

We are looking forward to hearing from you.

• There are some below concerns regarding your reply

1) I had a very bad experience in executing the command "supporttool.exe /vsservtrace on" in the command prompt. Actually I was asked to do the same against a Ticket ID in troubleshooting some issue by your Technical Support and after that the vsserv.exe is taking more than 90% of CPU usage and I couldn't do nothing except seeing the display and wait............ I had some chat sessions with your representatives and I was assured to get quick response regarding this issue, but till now, no response from your end.

I also try executing the command "supporttool.exe /vsservtrace off", but the issue remain. Eventually I've to re-install Bitdefender to get rid of it.

2) You said "........reproduce the issue a couple of times", but it would be very difficult for me to reproduce the issue myself as I said earlier that the sbject issue occur in random manner i.e not occur every time on starting the PC.

3) Last of all I've no Ticket ID sent by your labs against this issue to reply with.

So in the above scenario what you suggested further? May I create log from sysdump.exe tool?

Your detailed reply is requested.

• Hello DanyDan

One more point came into my mind it is also possible that I turn on my laptop and the Bitdefender Icon don't appear in the task bar and I execute the command "supporttool.exe /vsservtrace on" and restart my laptop, but after restart Bitdefender Icon loaded in the task bar before running the "supporttool.exe" file. In this case what to do?

Bitdefender Icon didn't appear this morning also upon first startup of laptop.

• Please go to Start -> Search and type 'services.msc'. Hit Enter, go to the Services window and go to the Security Center line. Please tell us if the service is set to Automatic Start or Automatic (Delayed) Start.

Regards,

• Hello DanyDan

The snapshot of subject issues are attached in which you find that the service "Security Center" is set to "Automatic Start".

Kindly suggest further.

post-31288-1274502689_thumb.jpg

post-31288-1274502707_thumb.jpg

• Hello DanyDan

Sometimes the Bitdefender Icon appear in the taskbar after long time even if not appear at first startup and without restarting laptop.

• Please set 'Security Center' to Disabled , restart the computer and let me know if the issue still persist.

Regards,

• Hello DanyDan

The subject issue remain even after I carried out your instructions. What you suggest further?