Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bd Internet Security 2010 Freezes On Update Again ?

Options

Once again BD 210 is locking up my system. Running Win 7 Pro 64 bit and BD IS 2010. Last month had an issue and posted here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...amp;#entry84044

No response from tech support so I had to totally un-install Bitdefender...manually edit my registry and delete/un-install BD files/folders/registry entries...and reinstall.

That fixed the issue but after yesterday's (5-24) 9:02 am update...same issue is back ?

Attached screen shot shows update status...when I click "update"...the window progresses to 14% and then just stays there...little circle keeps spinning but nothing happens. Whole system locks up and/or reacts incredibly slow !

Can't take a screen shot of the 14% status because Win 7 snippet tool (or almost anything else including task manager) will not respond while BD is "updating"

Even if I manage to end BD services/update...computer crawls until reboot. Windows "Logging off..." screen runs/spins for over six minutes before reboot starts !

It does not appear to be related to bdagent or seccenter since CPU usage is running at 1-3 % while system is frozen.

Is there any alternative other than wasting a number of additional hours totally removing BD IS 2010 and reinstalling ? Is there an app BD has that will automatically cleanse my system of all BD stuff so I can confidently reinstall ?

Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Bitdefender Internet Security 2010

Thanks, TimInAz

post-31073-1274805165_thumb.jpg

Comments

• coolcool1227
    Options

Try "Manual Updates" from "http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Main/view/Updates.html". If it works well then run Automatic Update again.

Turnoff Windows firewall.

Also check "http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=19589&hl=gmjim"

http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB27-en--Manuall...weekly.exe.html

Check for vsserv.exe CPU usage.

• trinaz
    Options
    Try "Manual Updates" from "http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Main/view/Updates.html". If it works well then run Automatic Update again.

Turnoff Windows firewall.

Also check "http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=19589&hl=gmjim"

http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB27-en--Manuall...weekly.exe.html

Check for vsserv.exe CPU usage.

Thanks for your help...both Windows Firewall and Windows Defender are off. While it can take 3 or 4 minutes to open Task Manager when BD 2010 freezes at 14% checking level - even after I manage to disable BD Internet Security...neither bdagent - vsserve.exe - or anything else is using excessive CPU time...when I can get Task Manager to open...it's running CPU usage at 2 - 4 % ?

My system is freezing not at the downloading of updates as the links address...but at "checking for updates"...and always at 14%. However I will explore that "Naf file" issue later today.

Will also try the manual update exe method and see what happens.

Issue isn't only with Bit Defender...main issue is the four times that BD has frozen during/after update attempts...my WHOLE system is relatively useless:

3-4 minutes to launch Task Manager

up to 5 minutes to launch IE browser

Windows "shut down" can take 4 to 8 minutes...have waited over 10 minutes and then nit the box reset button just to get started over.

This is a business PC (maybe 25% personal stuff) so I really would like to find out what's up

Thanks and I'll let you know what happens today...

Timinaz

• Unknown
    Options

Hi Timinaz,

Please tell me what happens after you see the updates checked up to 14% , any error message, reverts back to 0% ?

I would also recommend you to read THIS topic as the issue was already explained and a resolution was provided in the above mentioned forum topic.

Please keep me posted about the status of the issue. Thank you!

Best regards,

• trinaz
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Hi Timinaz,

Please tell me what happens after you see the updates checked up to 14% , any error message, reverts back to 0% ?

Nothing...it just sits a 14% checking for updates....never gets to downloading...will sit at 14% (same as one month ago - http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...amp;#entry84044 ) until I manage to close BD update or force a reboot. Problem is after reboot - whole system "crawls" though any other process ?

I would also recommend you to read THIS topic as the issue was already explained and a resolution was provided in the above mentioned forum topic.

I believe this topic which I read had to do with update "freezing" at a certain point while downloading updates...my problem is the freeze at 14% while checking for any new updates...never get to the download point...just locks at 14%

Even so..I will try the solution discovered for download freezing in the link above later today,

Only solution I could find last month to the 14% freezing issue was to totally and manually uninstall BD IS 2010 including manual registry editing ? Again...this locking up appears to have happened as a result of an automatic update...just don't know why ?

Thanks, TiminAZ

• Unknown
    Options

Hi TiminAZ,

Further to the issue you are facing I would like to further investigate the matter.

In order to solve this issue please be so kind as to make sure you uninstalled any other security solution you might have on the same computer (any spyware removal, Ad Aware, Spybot or any another antivirus).

Having more then one security product installed on the same PC can degrade performance and cause system instability. Even if they are turned off, there are some active processes running in the background. We recommend you to uninstall all the other security solutions in order for BitDefender to work properly. We also recommend you to run a registry cleaner on your computer in order to improve the system performance.

If the issue still persists please follow the steps from this link in order to provide us with the reports we need for further investigation.

The reports will be sent directly to our Technical Support Team and you will receive an automatic reply shortly. Please send me a PM with the ticket ID from the Subject of the e-mail so that I may analyze the reports and send you a solution as soon as possible.

Thank you!

Regards,

• trinaz
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Hi TiminAZ,

Further to the issue you are facing I would like to further investigate the matter.

In order to solve this issue please be so kind as to make sure you uninstalled any other security solution you might have on the same computer (any spyware removal, Ad Aware, Spybot or any another antivirus).

Having more then one security product installed on the same PC can degrade performance and cause system instability. Even if they are turned off, there are some active processes running in the background. We recommend you to uninstall all the other security solutions in order for BitDefender to work properly. We also recommend you to run a registry cleaner on your computer in order to improve the system performance.

If the issue still persists please follow the steps from this link in order to provide us with the reports we need for further investigation.

The reports will be sent directly to our Technical Support Team and you will receive an automatic reply shortly. Please send me a PM with the ticket ID from the Subject of the e-mail so that I may analyze the reports and send you a solution as soon as possible.

Thank you!

Regards,

Thanks DanyDan...there are no other spyware/malware...etc programs running...Windows Defender and Firewall are off. I am running Defender Support Tool now...but it has been "running" for almost 8 minutes at this point. Progress bar has stopped at about 40%

This slowdown is happening no matter what program I try. CPU usage is minimal

Task Manager reports the program is "running"

If it completes...I will forward the ticket number...

Thanks, again. TrinAZ

p.s. Have BD IS 2010 running on 4 other computers in the home...2 XP Home Edition laptops...1 XP Pro SP3 desktop...and one Win 7 Pro desktop. No other or similar issues with theses systems...only on this/my main Win 7 Pro 64 bit system !

post-31073-1274899624_thumb.jpg

post-31073-1274899813_thumb.jpg

• Unknown
    Options

Hi Timin,

Thanks for the snapshots. Please let me know if you couldn't generate the logs using SupportTool and I will send you other tool to work with.

Looking forward to your answer!

• trinaz
    Options

Thanks....no...never got past the 40% on the support tool...with the failure of the support tool...I decided to wipe BD again from my system. Also manually cleaned registry of Bit Defender entries. Since this is my main business system at home...I decided that was the best course to follow.

Will re-install BD IS 2010 on my 64 bit system after this reply.

However....since this is the second time in a month that this same issue arose...can you please send me that second support tool to keep in reserve ? Also...do you have a proprietary Windows registry "cleaner" specifically for BD IS 2010...?...or a list of entries made to Windows 7 Pro 64 bit systems in case I need to go through this again ?

My system (not this one) is now up and running smartly and without freezes or lockups...so I think we have to assume "something" in BD IS 2010 ( or at lease the updates system) does not get along well with a Win 7 Pro 64 bit system ?

Thanks for all your efforts on this...

TiminAZ

• Unknown
    Options

Hello,

I will try to answer all your queries in the same order to posted them, as follows:

- you will have the second tool in your email for future use along with instructions on how to completely remove BitDefender from your computer;

- I do believe that the issue was due to another security solution installed on your PC or a faulty installation.

Check your email, follow the steps and let me know if the issue was resolved.

Regards,

• trinaz
    Options
    Hello,

I will try to answer all your queries in the same order to posted them, as follows:

- you will have the second tool in your email for future use along with instructions on how to completely remove BitDefender from your computer;

- I do believe that the issue was due to another security solution installed on your PC or a faulty installation.

Check your email, follow the steps and let me know if the issue was resolved.

Regards,

Ok...I appreciate all you help. as a footnote...this was/is a new system...from cpu to motherboard harddrives...etc...and the only other program even remotely like an AV or Spyware is/was the default Windows Defender.

May have uncovered another issue tho and will let you know if that may have been the culprit ? Looking forward to the extra support tool !

Thanks again...

• Unknown
    Options

Hello Tim,

The Windows Defender should be turned off while having BitDefender installed. I have sent you the email with the second tool, please confirm that you received it.

Thanks!

A lovely weekend,