[Resolved]Outlook 2003 Randomly Time-out When Receiving

Hi,

I am using BD Internet Security 2010, v13.0.21. After using this 2010 version, I have problem in receiving pop3 email via MS Outlook 2003. About 3 out of 5 times when I try to click "Send/Receive" email button, it pops out a message saying "operation timed out" with 0x8004210a error message. I have checked with my company Network Admin guy, and gone through all email settings and found no issue in the email account settings.

So, I tried disable the "real-time protection", all emails can be received immediately when disable. Can someone tell me what is going wrong? Did I do anything wrong in settings when installing the BD?

I am using Windows XP and BD is the only security application that I am running and I have set my protection level to "permissive".

Please help.

Morgan

Comments

• Hello,

The issue you encounter is because of the large emails received that needs to be scanned with BitDefender. Follow the steps below and the issue should be resolved:

For Outlook:

1. Please open the Outlook software and Click on Tools;

2. Select Account settings;

3. Click on the item from the list that has the email address that you are currently using and select the 'Change...' button (if you have used Outlook for only 1 email address, there will be only 1 item in the list);

4. Click on More settings and select the Advanced tab;

5. Please increase the 'Server timeouts' to Long (10 minute);

6. Click on Ok and check if the issue still occurs.

For Outlook Express:

- start Outlook Express.

- on the Tools menu, click Accounts.

- click the Mail tab.

- click your account, and then click Properties.

- click the Advanced tab.

- set the server time-out setting to Long

I would like to take advantage of this opportunity to convey our apologies in regards to the situation created.

Please let me know if the situation is fixed after following the above steps.

Regards,

• Thanks for the reply. I did the change and it works. Thank you.

• Always a pleasure MW! If you have any further queries feel free to contact us anytime.

Best regards and a great weekend !

This discussion has been closed.