Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Spyware.known_bad_sites Found

Options

Those from Bitdefender are always trying to tell me I MUST uninstall Spyware Doctor, even tho I only run it on demand. This situation is exactly why I won't do that. My Spyware Doctor keeps finding Spyware.Known_Bad_Sites which is shown as high risk. It always reports that all threats have been removed, but then the next time I scan it finds the same thing again. This has gone on now for the last 3 scans. I have attached a screenshot.

What I'd like to know is why BitDefender never finds anything like this. I do a Deep Scan every day with BD and nothing is found.

I am using BitDefender Internet Security 2009. I am prepared to uninstall it and install BDIS 2010. I received detailed instructions to follow, but one question I had was not answered. I have sent 3 or 4 email requests, and finally even sent a personal message to the person who sent the email. I have had NO response of any kind. The question is, should I have my UAC turned off when I uninstall 2009 and reinstall 2010? If someone can answer this for me I would appreciate it ... and also any other hints, tips that may be important when un- and reinstalling.

Thank you

post-17054-1280189239_thumb.jpg

Comments

• csalgau
    Options

I'll try to address all the issues:

As this is a third party anti-malware product, we cannot ensure that we provide you with accurate instructions as this product may have it's own libraries, dependencies or system modifications that may impact our accuracy in debugging your problems without negative side-effects. BitDefender is primarily targeted at malware, not at websites, and as such we focus on preventing bad things from happening if a website is accessed, not on preventing you from accessing websites. (side note - I see nothing wrong with the shown address)

About the UAC: Running a program that requires UAC as administrator("Run as administrator" in the context menu) is functionally equivalent with running it with UAC disabled entirely. Requesting to uninstall or install BitDefender will automatically ask for UAC elevation from the system and you should have no problems with the procedure.

Have a nice day!

• alexcrist
    Options

Hello Nikilet,

Would it be possible for you to export a Spyware Doctor log, upload it on a file-sharing server, and provide me with the download link by PM?

Cris.

• Nikilet
    edited July 2010
    Options

Cris: I wish I could but I go to the log folder and there is nothing in it.

Catalin: Are you telling me that I don't have to turn off the UAC?

• alexcrist
    Options

OK, then re-post the previous results, but make sure that complete details about detected items are available. If you can't resize the window, you'll have to manually write those paths (or make multiple screenshots).

About what Catalin said, yes, you don't have to fully disable UAC. Instead, when running the uninstaller and installer, right click on them and select Run as Administrator. As a result, those processes will run with full administrative privileges, while UAC will still be enabled for the other processes.

Cris.

• Nikilet
    Options

Cris: The reason I wanted to check the Spyware Doctor log is because the full path was not exposed in the window. I had the window expanded. Catalin says there was nothing wrong with the site involved here so I'm really wondering what's going on. Spyware Doctor wrote back and told me to do a scan in Safe Mode with Networking, which I did last evening. This item was found and I again deleted it, which SD said was successful. I'll have to do another scan now in regular mode to be sure.

Can you explain to me what this threat is?

• alexcrist
    Options

I have no idea what this threat is. Not being a BitDefender detection, nobody around here can tell what it is about. This is for the SpywareDoctor Support to clarify for you.

Catalin just checked that web address that shows up in the screenshot. If he says the link doesn't pose a threat to your system, then only SpywareDoctor Support can tell you why that link shows up as a threat.

What about if you click on "Learn mode about this Threat..."? Doesn't that help clarify the situation?

Also, from what I can see in your screenshot, it appears to be an address that is within your browser's favorites list. As far as I know, Internet Explorer is the one browser which keeps it's favorites in C:\Users\<username>\Favorites so you can check IEs Favorites menu and simply remove that address from there. Also, in your screenshot it appears a local address (starting with C:\Users\Cindy\ etc...). That is the address I wanted you to post. Even if a log is not created (though it should be...), isn't there any way SpywareDoctor can show you the complete path, even right after the scan? If this is not possible, then I really suggest contacting their support and asking them for clarifications. Because such a vague detection, with no details, no log and no way of seeing the exact path from your system clearly suggests a faulty design.

I don't use SpywareDoctor and probably never will, so I have no idea how it works and what it's purpose is. But from the details that you offered us until now, this is NOT a problem with BitDefender, but with SpywareDoctor. Until you get a confirmation from them that that is really a threat AND a clear location in your system (so you can send us a sample for analysis), then there is not much that we can do for you at this time.

Cris.