Phconf.ini Update Problem

Hi

I've recently reinstalled the operating system on my Windows XP SP3 laptop and then installed Bitdefender Total Security 2008 and updated the virus engine.

Now each time I do a manual update within Bitdefender I notice that the last file it installs/updates is "phconf.ini". It seems to install fine but then when I do another update shortly after the same file appears again as though it wasn't installed properly the first time. Basically everytime I update the virus engine this file appears, seemingly installs correctly and then re-appears on the next update.

Does anyone know what could be causing this and/or if it's a problem? I have not come across this before during the past few years I've been using Bitdefender Total Security 2008 - normally if the virus engine is up-to-date the software say's something like "no update available" rather than installing "phconf.ini" time after time.

BTW, I'm still using Bitdefender Total Security 2008 instead of the the latest 2010 version because the "game mode" actually works. I tried Bitdefender Total Security 2010 on my laptop runing XP and also on my desktop machine running Vista and the "game mode" simply doesn't work on either computer - the CPU via the "vsserv.exe" process gets maxed out during gameplay causing huge framerate drops.

If anyone from Bitdefender is reading this, is the next version of Bitdefender (ie Bitdefender Total Security 2011 I assume) going to have a working game mode? I'm about to renew my licence shortly and was wondering if this feature will be fixed or am I better off sticking with the trusty 2008 version, provided it can still update to the latest virus engine that is??

Many thanks

Comments

• Hi

If anyone from Bitdefender is reading this, is the next version of Bitdefender (ie Bitdefender Total Security 2011 I assume) going to have a working game mode? I'm about to renew my licence shortly and was wondering if this feature will be fixed or am I better off sticking with the trusty 2008 version, provided it can still update to the latest virus engine that is??

Many thanks

Some people downloaded the bêta BD 2011 and did some tests, but as far as I know we have no access now.

If you have no answer from a BD tech in a few days you could "upper" the message.

I leave the office, home and computers for a couple of weeks tonight. I hope updates will be fine (or better) for everyone.

Have a nice day

:)

L.