Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

[resolved]Bdav Says I Have Win Live Messenger & 2 User Ids, But I Don't

Options

I installed the trial version of BDAV on my new T410 a few days ago and it is basically OK with a few issues I posted in another topic. A ticket was opened and those are being worked on.

Yesterday, I installed a trial version of BDAV on my old ThinkPad T21 (config in my sig) to see how it would run on WinXP. It installed fine, but I have a few questions about some entries on the Vulnerability tab. I would prefer to leave Vulnerability Scan enabled and just get rid of the detections that are (I'll call) "wrong" or don't care about.

1. It is flagging "Other Microsoft Updates" which appear to be what MS calls "optional." Granted, I have not installed these. Some would be OK like MS Office Help files, but others like Windows Search I do not want installed. If I "hide" these unwanted updates from within Microsoft Update, will BDAV also stop nagging me about them?

2. It says Windows Live Messenger is outdated. I don't have Messenger installed, only Windows Live Mail. When I go into Control Panel-->Add/Remove Programs-->Windows Live Essentials-->Change/Remove-->Uninstall, the only program listed is Mail. Where is BDAV picking up that it thinks Messenger is installed? If it really is installed & I don't know it, how do I uninstall it, or, how do I get BDAV to stop flagging it?

3. It lists 2 Windows User IDs that don't exist, one as having a weak password. When I go into Control Panel-->User Accounts, it shows 2 - my primary administrator level ID which BDAV says is OK with a strong password, and a Guest account which is set to "Off." Where is BDAV detecting these other 2 User IDs and if they really exist on the system, how do I delete them? If they don't exist on the system, how do I get BDAV to stop detecting them?

These are not major issues, but I'd like to get rid of the big, red exclamation point over the BD icon in the System Tray. ;)

Thanks for any help,

Gary

Comments

• Unknown
    edited August 2010
    Options

Hi again Gary,

I will try to answer all your queries in the same order:

1. The BitDefender will ask you to install the 'Other Microsoft updates' - is the same as 'Optional Updates' each time you check for Vulnerabilities within BitDefender Security Center -> Vulnerability. Simply disable that option and it will not check them anymore;

2. Check the official website http://www.Live.com and see the latest version of WLM. Compare it with the one you have installed from 'About' section of the software;

3. Please provide me with a screenshot or the exact Usernames found having a weak password. The Guest account should be indeed turned OFF.

I would recommend you to manually check the software found as outdated on their official websites (i.e. http://www.winamp.com ; http://www.live.com etc) and then install the latest version.

Regarding the Windows Live Messenger being outdated please note that this software comes preinstalled with the Operating System, however its version is indeed an older one.

If you have any further queries feel free to post them anytime!

Regards,

• My 3 questions came about as a result of this BD Vulnerability status screen:

post-35640-1281221451_thumb.jpg

1. [Resolved] I installed the 'optional' MS updates I wanted and hid the rest from the MS Update webpage. BD no longer flags these 'optional' updates. (one down, 2 to go)

2. When I downloaded Windows Live, I only selected the Mail (WLM) component and installed it. I did not select nor install Live Messenger. When I go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and open Windows Live Essentials, only Mail is displayed.

post-35640-1281221484_thumb.jpg

Live Messenger is not even on this PC so where is BDAV finding it?

3. When I look at the WinXP Current Users, this is what I see:

post-35640-1281221470_thumb.jpg

Where is BDAV finding the User IDs 'Administrator' and 'IUSR_IBM-T21-LAPTOP'? If they are really on the PC somewhere, I want to delete them.

Thanks again for your help.

Gary

• lutz
    Options

Hi!

Regarding the users: The user Administrator is no longer visible when you create another user with admin permissions. From that time on Adminstrator will be presented for login only if you start Win in protected mode.

Open a DOS box, type "net user", and you'll get all users including the hidden ones. If you are logged in as an admin user, you may delete other users by "net user <username> /delete". For more infos: "net user /?". But I don't know what will happen when you kill Adminstrator, as with that user the system was installed...

Hope this helps,

lutz

• Update - SUCCESS! :) I am clean and green

post-35640-1281285341_thumb.jpg

2. [Resolved] I knew I hadn't installed Windows Live Messenger! What BD was calling Windows Live Messenger was actually Windows Messenger from Windows XP days. Since I have never used Windows Messenger, I searched the web and found uninstall instructions that worked. Once Windows Messenger was removed, BD no longer flagged Windows Live Messenger as Outdated.

3. [Resolved] Using TweakUI, I set the 'Administrator' User ID to show on welcome screen, rebooted and gave the 'Administrator' User ID a password (which I had never done). I then un-ticked show on welcome screen in TweakUI and rebooted. The 'Administrator' User ID didn't appear on the welcome screen (which is the way I wanted it) and BD no longer flagged it as having a weak password.

After doing this, the User ID 'IUSR_IBM-T21-LAPTOP' no longer showed up in BD. Don't ask, because I have no idea why or where it went. ;)

That only took about 6 hours out of my Sunday morning. :D

• alexcrist
    Options

The Administrator account is built-in Windows and cannot be deleted as far as I know. Also, it can be accessed at any time, even in Normal boot (not Safe Mode). If the Welcome Screen is enabled, while viewing it you can press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice, which will make Windows show the classing logon dialog. There you will be able to type the ”Administrator” username, type it's password (if any) and log in.

If the Welcome screen is disabled, then the classic logon dialog is shown automatically.

This works on Windows XP. As far as I can see, it doesn't work on Windows 7 (possibly neither on Vista). The Administrator account is also built-in Vista and 7, but it's disabled by default. This means that you cannot log into it before you enable it (from Group Policy Editor). Also, it cannot be deleted.