Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

[terminal] Changing Keyboard Layout?

Options
littlebigman
edited February 2022 in The Archive

Hello

I can successfully boot up BitDefender in French on a laptop from a USB key, but when I launch Terminal, the layout is for the US keyboard, and "loadkeys fr" just outputs an error (""Unknown keysim 'trademark'").

Does someone know how to change the keyboard layout in the command-line?

Thank you.

Comments

• Hello,

In order to change the keyboard layout from "us" to "fr" please enter in terminal:

$ sudo setxkbmap fr

Thank you

• In order to change the keyboard layout from "us" to "fr" please enter in terminal: $ sudo setxkbmap fr

Thanks but no go : "Cannot open display "default display"".

• Thanks but no go : "Cannot open display "default display"".

Several hours of googling... only to find out that setxkbmap cannot be run as root. Running setxkbmap as non-root does change the keyboard layout as expected. I guess it wasn't possible to write an error message that actually pointed the user in the right direction <_<

"loadkeys", on the other hand, must be run as root., or you'll get the even more useless error message "Couldn't get a file descriptor referring to the console". This is fun.