Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

How To Disable "file Sharing" And "network Discovery"

Options

I am using Bitdefender Internet Securtiy 10 on widows Vista Business. I have noticed that I cannot stop "Network Discovery" and "File Sharing" !! This is not good since I use a public LAN in campus library and my PC is visible for everyone.

If I use windows firewall, I can disable "Network Discovery" and "File Sharing" in "Network and Sharing Center". But when I use Bitdefender firewall, then Vista says that I can disable these setting in my firewall program. But the only thing I can disable in Bitdefender Firewall is ICS which is not disabling "Network Discovery" and "File Sharing".

Is there any way to disable "Network Discovery" and "File Sharing" in bitdefender firewall?

Comments

• Niels
    Options

Hello Music-Box

Have you already checked the stealth option? You will find that option when going to firewall,advanced.

I suppose that you tried this already.

Best regards

Niels

• I am using Bitdefender Internet Securtiy 10 on widows Vista Business. I have noticed that I cannot stop "Network Discovery" and "File Sharing" !! This is not good since I use a public LAN in campus library and my PC is visible for everyone.

If I use windows firewall, I can disable "Network Discovery" and "File Sharing" in "Network and Sharing Center". But when I use Bitdefender firewall, then Vista says that I can disable these setting in my firewall program. But the only thing I can disable in Bitdefender Firewall is ICS which is not disabling "Network Discovery" and "File Sharing".

Is there any way to disable "Network Discovery" and "File Sharing" in bitdefender firewall?

Hi Music-Box,

For the File Sharing problem: when you installed BitDefender IS, the Firewall Wizard appeared when BD detected your network. If, at step 6/7, you selected Direct connection, then BD Firewall automatically blocks File Sharing. If you selected something else at that step, just go to Firewall -> Traffic and press Reconfigure profile, at which point the Firewall Wizard will appear again.

For the Network Discovery: as Niels said, the solution for this problem is enabling the option Stealth Mode, for the Advanced tab in the Firewall section of BD IS.

Cris.

• Hello,

Thanks Niels! Thanks Cris!

I tried your suggestions. But if I go to Start>Network, I can see other PCs on the Network. Even I can see myself and when I click on my PC's name I can see the "Printers" folder.

Does Stealth Mode means that "other PCs on the network" cannot see me but I can see them? I think microsoft firewall says if I want to see other PCs on the networks then they can see me too!

Best Regards,

Music-Box

• Niels
    Options

Hello Music-Box

So long printer sharing/file sharing is disabled (unchecked) nobody can reach your files,folders.

Your computer will not be visible to other pc's in the network. I am not 100 % sure but I think that you can still see the other pc's in the network.

Best regards

Niels

• I tried your suggestions. But if I go to Start>Network, I can see other PCs on the Network. Even I can see myself and when I click on my PC's name I can see the "Printers" folder.

Does Stealth Mode means that "other PCs on the network" cannot see me but I can see them? I think microsoft firewall says if I want to see other PCs on the networks then they can see me too!

You should not be able to browse your network. Are you sure you blocked File Sharing in BD Firewall (you should find a rule in the Traffic tab, which says that port 139 is blocked for both Inbound and Outbound)?

The Stealth Mode is mainly for preventing your PC from being detected in a network, using methods like Port Scanning.

Also, you could try to disable the hole Computer Browser service (Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services. Find Computer Browser service and Disable it). This will stop Windows (your PC) from searching other PCs in your network (and, also, it will prevent your Windows to be seen by other PCs in your network, because it will not answer such requests). Another advantage of disabling this service is faster Windows startup and lower resourse consumption.

I don't know if this service still exists under the same name in Windows Vista (I'm still using Windows XP).

Your computer will not be visible to other pc's in the network. I am not 100 % sure but I think that you can still see the other pc's in the network.

As far as I know, File Sharing and PC search in a network are made using the same port: 139 (NetBIOS). I'm not sure about this, but I'll check.

However, when browsing the network, your PC doesn't make difference between itself and the other PCs. You'll see yourself in the list of PCs because you are a part of that network and your PC detects itself just like it detects the other PCs. In other words, if the network detection is blocked, you cannot see other PCs in your network (you cannot even see yourself).

I hope you understand what I mean :)

Cris.

• Hi guys! I put the stealth mode on but still unable to turn off network discovery and file sharing. I'm using BD internet security 2009. Any idea?