Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Punkbuster Software Blocked By Bitdefender

Options

Hello all, I cannot get Bitdefender Internet Security to work with Punkbuster. This is a background service used by many multiplayer games to prevent cheats. I tried to configure exceptions to the Bitdefender firewall and even deactivated the firewall completely but without result.

How should I proceed to solve this problem?

Comments

• Hello,

First of all please explain why exactly the Punkbuster is not working ? Any error message displayed ? Please reproduce the steps you take until the issue occur. What Operating System are you using ? What PC architecture: 32-bits or 64-bits ?

• Hello,

First of all please explain why exactly the Punkbuster is not working ? Any error message displayed ? Please reproduce the steps you take until the issue occur. What Operating System are you using ? What PC architecture: 32-bits or 64-bits ?

Hi, the Punkbuster software PnkbstrA.exe is blocked and is not reachable by the counterpart on the server. Thus the error message "Service Communication Failure" is displayed, which usually indicates a firewall problem. But the problem remains even after deactivating the BD firewall completely.

My OS is Win XP 32bit, so this is not related to Win7 or 64 bit issues.

• Unknown
    edited December 2010
    Options

Hello,

What Service Pack you have installed on your Windows XP ? Do you have AVC and IDS features enabled ? Open BitDefender and go to Antivirus tab. There click on the Advanced Settings button and if the two features are enabled disable them and test to see if you can connect.

Looking forward to your answer!

• Dan,

I deactivated these settings but regrettably the problem remains. I have the latest SP and updates installed. Does BD generate a logfile that would contain information about blocked communication attempts? On the other hand, Punkbuster is quite widespread in the gaming world so there should not be a general problem.

• Try to see if the issue is resolved if you disable the Real Time Protection module and let me know. Also, check your email and reply with the requested information.

Thank you!

• Daniel, deactivating the Real Time Protection did not solve the problem, regrettably. I have checked my Email but received no message from you so far. I saw that my email address was hidden on the board, maybe this prevented me from receiving your message. Can you resend it?

• Unknown
    edited January 2011
    Options

Hi Rob,

Sent the email again to your hinesley address. Please check your inbox, follow the steps to generate full dump files so we can find the reason of this incompatibility between PnkBuster and BitDefender. Your ticket ID is: 201101021023406.

Kind regards,

• Well I tried it again and again but the software I received that is intended to do some sort of logging always crashes. I guess I give up.

• Hi,

I received no answer from you via email in response to the ticket you have open with me (ID: 201101021023406). What you mean by 'the software I received that is intended to do some sort of logging always crashes' ? Are you referring to the Support Tool file ?

Regards,

• robsfl
    edited March 2011
    Options

I just saw that there is an answer..

yes the tool crashes at the point it says it is gathering information. The progress bar never starts moving even after 2 hours. When I try to use the help & support function in the Bitdefender menu (bottom right), then the same thing happens when it says it is gathering information.

I just saw in the German forum that a support member said that this is an known problem and will be corrected through a patch. Where is this patch available?

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...p;hl=punkbuster

• Unknown
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hello Rob,

Since the Support Tool is crashing on your PC please generate the same log file using Sysdump tool as explained below. Also please let me know if the BitDefender Real Time Protection blocks the same sys file on your PC as the same posted in the German forum by Vortex.

If the detected file is the same one - PnkBstrK.sys - please Disable BitDefender Real Time Protection then locate the file in question. Create a password protected password using WinRAR or WinZIP and set the archive password to: infected. Upload the file to an online files upload server (Click HERE) then send me via PM the download link.

[Sysdump logs - howTo]

1. Download this file:

Click HERE

2. Locate and open 'Sysdump.exe'

3. A command prompt window will appear on your screen. Please note that the information gathering process can take several minutes therefore please wait until the window disappear by itself.

4. The result will be the file called 'SYSDUMP.TAR'

5. When you have the sysdump.tar please upload it HERE

6. Include a DETAILED description of the issue you encounter: reproduce the steps you take until the issue occur and, if possible, enclose a screenshot of any error message you receive.

7. Send me a PM (Private Message) with the download link and one for the topic you started.

[how to create a password protected archive with WinRAR]

1. Click HERE to download WinRAR;

2. Save the file on your computer;

3. Run/Open it and install WinRAR on your computer ( a default installation requires not additional settings upon installation - in other words you can simply click on NEXT until you finish the setup ).

4. Locate again the infected/suspicious file(s);

5. When you find the files right click on the file and choose "Add to archive..." from the menu.

6. A new window will be displayed with the menu of WinRAR;

7. You will see the name of the archive ( normally the name is the same as the file/folder name only with the extension .ZIP or .RAR );

8. Choose RAR as archive format;

9. Go to Advanced tab and click on "Set Password..."

10. Type the password "infected" twice then click on OK;

11. Click again on OK to create the archive.

Looking forward to your answer!

• robsfl
    Options

Hello Daniel,

thanks for the fast reply, this time it worked! I reproduced the steps until the error message of the blocked software was displayed and then produced the sysdump.

I sent you the links to both the sysdump and also the blocked program, which is named PnkBstrA.exe in my case.

Robert

• Hi Robert,

I received the PM and the logs. Thanks! However a screenshot of the error you receive would be great to have so make sure you send me one when you have the time.

Sent you a PM with the ticket ID and what other details I need in order to gather all info to resolve this issue. Looking forward to your answer!

Yours,