Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Cd & Pxe

Options
lgwapnitsky
edited February 2022 in The Archive

I am trying to get the BitDefender CD to run via PXE on my network. I've successfully gotten it to boot and get a network connection, but the system is not performing DNS resolution. When I boot the CD up normally (via the drive, not PXE), DNS resolution works without a hitch.

This is the entry I have in my PXELINUX boot menu:

LABEL BD
MENU LABEL ^BitDefender Anti-Virus Scan (DO NOT USE)
KERNEL /BD/casper/vmlinuz
APPEND boot=casper netboot=nfs nfsroot=10.102.2.160:/tftpboot/BD file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed initrd=/BD/casp\
er/initrd.gz ip=dhcp --

Any ideas? This is a great tool that would be even more beneficial in my environment if I could have it run this way.

Thanks,

Larry

Comments

• csalgau
    csalgau ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options

I have virtually zero experience with boot from nfs, but I see no reason why it would affect data obtained via dhcp. Curious...

Could I suggest you check if:

- once data is obtained resolv.conf contains the proper DNS servers, as provided by your dhcp server

- you can manually run nslookup and "server dns.server.ip" then "google.com" or whatever to check if resolution works like this

- try to use the same setup for a standard copy of ubuntu and see if that's working properly

Edit:

On second though, I take parts of that back. Casper is supposed to be read-only. That might be your problem. You could try seeing if your /etc/resolv.conf(assuming it's in use) is writable and if it's not - that's your problem. There's probably a proper way of doing this, but I can't really be of help there.

• I have virtually zero experience with boot from nfs, but I see no reason why it would affect data obtained via dhcp. Curious...

Could I suggest you check if:

- once data is obtained resolv.conf contains the proper DNS servers, as provided by your dhcp server

- you can manually run nslookup and "server dns.server.ip" then "google.com" or whatever to check if resolution works like this

- try to use the same setup for a standard copy of ubuntu and see if that's working properly

resolv.conf is empty.

I haven't set the DNS resolution server up by manually setting the IP address, but I'll give that a shot. It kind of defeats the easiness of using the application.

I'll get a copy of a live Ubuntu CD and test that as well. I'll keep you posted.

If there's a way the guys in the 'lab' can test this to help out, it would be great.

Thanks,

Larry

• csalgau
    Options

I updated my previous post. Please read the correction. Also, I'd like to put out the idea of manually editing the resolv.conf file offline and having it load by default with the proper settings. Not as elegant and scalable as DHCP, but it would probably work.

• lgwapnitsky
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I updated my previous post. Please read the correction. Also, I'd like to put out the idea of manually editing the resolv.conf file offline and having it load by default with the proper settings. Not as elegant and scalable as DHCP, but it would probably work.

Even if casper is read-only, how is it that resolution works with one boot method and not the other when they're both using capser?

BTW - I just did a test - the LiveCD boot edits /etc/resolv.conf. The NFS boot does not. I've also set the rw switch in the boot options.

• Even if casper is read-only, how is it that resolution works with one boot method and not the other when they're both using capser?

BTW - I just did a test - the LiveCD boot edits /etc/resolv.conf. The NFS boot does not. I've also set the rw switch in the boot options.

One more update. I just found this link that details the issue. When I followed the steps, /etc/resolv.conf was updated. It seems to be a bit of an odd extra step.

• csalgau
    Options

In that case, I guess it's pointless to ask my colleagues to look into the matter at this moment.

• How did you go about making this work? I have been trying for a while, and no dice. Once I boot from PXE there is no text editor, and when I edit the iso and add one it gives me issues. Also is there anyway to add a persistant folder for virus defs?