Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Is 2011 Stops Responding When Pc Is Idle

Options
Darste
edited February 2011 in Antivirus

Howzit all,

Have been having a problem with IS 2011 lately. Before I continue, it's a great product and I've used 2009 and 2010 prior, experiencing no errors or irregularities with regards to either of those.

My PC is regularly on for most of the day; switched on at 08h00, switched off at around 23h00. I've noticed that when it sits idle for a while - I can't give an exact amount of time, normally around 2 - 3 hrs max - the taskbar BD icon becomes grey and indicates that "BitDefender services have stopped responding" - you know the deal. This, when earlier, it would be working just fine.

At this point, the PC is hugely slow which, as you can imagine, is hugely frustrating. Sometimes it'll happen when Chrome is open with my GMail account or other tabs, other times when the PC is completely idle. If I try to Ctrl+Alt+Delete the situation, the Task Manager doesn't even open. The machine even freezes - apart from the cursor turning into the 'busy-in-background' status and I can still move the cursor - when I try to open the Start menu. The PC is dreadfully slow and I cannot shut it down via the typical means, and then I have to give it a hard-reset (turn off, wait 10 secs, turn on). After rebooting, it's fine again.

Specs:

XP SP3 32-bit

Latest build of BD: 14.0.24.337

I live in South Africa and I'm not sure whether this'll have anything to do with the problem. By the sounds of other users' gripes, I doubt it. I can run the Support Tool if needs be.

Any ideas what could be causing the trouble?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Do you have any other security programs installed - antivirus, firewall, antimalware, etc.?

If not, then please follow the procedure below to have BD tech support investigate your issue further.

1. First please unplug the Internet cable from your computer or disable the Wireless adaptor if you are using one. This prevents the supporttools files from being automatically uploaded.

2. Click on Start and then choose My Computer/Computer.

3. Browse to:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

4. Double-click on the supporttool.exe file - if you are using Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the supporttool application file and select Run as Administrator

5. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish

6. A file will be created on your desktop. Please move it to a location of your choice (i.e. move it on your c:\ drive)

7. Reconnect your internet cable (only after you have moved the file to the new location)

8. Upload the created file HERE

9. Include a detailed description of the issue you are encountering and a screenshot of the error message, if there is one.

10. Send a PM (Private Message) with the download link to DanyDan of tech support. Include a link to this topic and give him as much detail as possible about your PC - exact symptoms, hardware (CPU type/speed, Memory installed, etc.), OS and version, 32-bit or 64-bit, any other security software installed or previously uninstalled. Any other relevant configuration information.

It may take several days for them to analyze the files and respond depending on their workload, so please be patient.

Regards,

• Howzit Gary,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've not got any other anti-virus, -malware or -spyware programs installed.

I noticed that I still had a BD 2010 folder under "BitDefender" in Prog. Files and there's still all the 2010 files and folders within. Could this have anything to do with it? I'm wondering but I doubt it since there's no program installed on the system that would need to access it so I'd say the folder's just sitting there looking pretty. Nonetheless, could it be contributing to the problem?

Will do as instructed shortly.

Thanks again.

• It is possible that BD 2010 was not correctly uninstalled and may be causing your problem. Running the SupportTool and having tech support analyze it, should narrow down the problem.

Regards,

• Hello,

Please update BitDefender and install the latest fixes from the new build released yesterday, February 15th and let me know if the issue persist and I will create you a ticket and further investigate the matter.

Looking forward to your answer!

• Hi DanyDan,

Thanks for the prompt response, I imagine you're hugely busy managing technical issues.

I've just tried updating BD and noticed it's already updated itself to the new build. Will monitor and report back within the next week. I felt the PC idle this afternoon, returned home and noticed it worked fine. No problems. Maybe the problem has solved itself. Touch wood.

Thanks very much for the help. I appreciate it. :)

• Darste
    Options

This issue has been resolved. I have no further problems.

This case can now be closed.

Thanks very much for all the help.

• Thanks for posting your results. :)

Issue resolved, topic closed.

Regards,

This discussion has been closed.