Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bd 2011 Stops Full Image Backup From Completeing Win 7 64

Options

Hi I am having a problem with bit defender internet security 2011 on a fresh install of windows 7 64bit , after I installed bit defender I cannot complete a full system image from the windows native backup program.

Windows error code 0x81000019 is what I get I did lots of reading and it seems to point to the "System Reserved Partition" on win 7 not having enough space and that bit defender may have modified/added/blocked files in the folder so there is not enough space left to store the temp files fro the backup process.

Please Note That I reinstalled windows from scratch a second time just to make sure bit defender was the issue and I did a complete system backup image before bit defender install with no problems but after install of bit defender and a reboot it failed to back up the with error code 0x81000019. there is plenty of space for the backup on my empty 500 GB backup drive.

I would like to know of any fix for this that doesn't require resizing the System Reserved Partition which is a major pain in the azz but i can confirm will work because i have done it, but i do not wish to do on each new install of windows i do with bit defender installed. I think i will return bit defender for a refund if i don't soon get find a better way as it has taken up way to much of my time with this error. I always read that bit defender was # 1 but i may have made a mistake switching. Thanks for any help.

post-56096-1302062026_thumb.png

Comments

• I would like to add the system specs if that might be helpful its late and i see no "edit post" option.

Asus M4A89GTD PRO

AMD 6 core 1055t processor

8 GB patriot Ram

Onboard video.(for now)

2x 500gb hdd one for backup one OS.

PC is tested and stable

Win 7, 64 installed , drivers , windows updates and internet security 2011 nothing else.

• Is there any fix for the problem I am having with my system image backups not completing without me mucking with the System reserved partition?? I read that the 2010 version does not do this.. This PC needs the windows backup/restore backup process working properly and I have am on the verge of uninstalling Bit defender and tossing it out the window and going with a less buggy AV so that the PC will do its backups properly and i can be done with it.
  • Anyone??

• I have confirmed that windows backup/restore gets the same error after uninstall of bit defender internet security even after using the uninstall tool afterwards meaning BD 2011 messed up my windows backup even after uninstall. I had to reinstall windows again from scratch to get backups working properly. this is all on a fresh install of windows with drivers/updates installed only. I tested all backups created and they were working prior to the bd install and verified everything working fine before BD install/removal.

The problem is that the system reserved hidden partition holds the boot info etc and is 100 MB and after installing BD 2011 "due to some extra level of self-protection we've made on BitDefender". messesd up windows backup which stores temp files on the system reserved partition that the backup process uses.

I managed to "fix" the backup error by going reading posts from other ppl and going to admin tools/disc management shrinking my Hard drive partition volume by 490MB then creating a new partition with a drive letter that is 490MB (do not go over 500 MB cant remember why) copy the boot files from system reserved partition to this new 490 MB partition then remove the drive letter and if you have problems you can use the windows cd to go to start up repair. Also if you have problems like i did with the partitions you will need to hook up the hard drive to another PC to do the resizing /creating of a new partition. that's a whole lot of crap i don't wish to do but at least it is a learning experience..

I will not buy BD again mainly because of the support, i realize there are bugs in any program and was willing to try different things anyone would have suggested but 2011 internet security seems to have some serious bugs.. also it would be nice to have someone actively try and help me or at least tell me its a common problem and the BD team is working on on it on this forum...

I actually got tired of waiting for answers from the bd support that were suppose to send me links to programs to check my system stats etc but i never got any more replys..so I went with a different AV vendors internet security suite that allows my backups to work properly and who responded to my question in minutes. I would still like to see an answer to this problem that doesn't require everything i had to do. for future reference .

• Unknown
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hello,

The backup issue while having a security solution installed is a known Microsoft Windows issue. The easiest way to resolve this is to modify the System reserved partition from 100 MB to 200 MB then restart the PC (as you also mentioned in your post). Also, as the engineers from Microsoft are recommending, it is best to disable the security solution you are using on that PC by disabling the Real Time Protection module. The issue you are describing is not on BitDefender's end.

The quickest resolution in my opinion would be if you boot from your Windows 7 disc and go to repair instead of install, you will get the option to restore back to a restore point like you do in windows and that way to avoid disabling the Antivirus or do any other changes.

Also, as recommended by all IT engineers including the guys from Microsoft, it is best to do the System Restore in Windows Safe Mode and you will have no problems in restoring your PC to an earlier time or date.

Last but not least please keep in mind that the average response time on the Forum is 48 to 72 hours so I kindly ask for your patience, I will my answer in the shortest time possible.

I hope the information above will help in restoring your faith in our products and the level of support. If you have any further queries feel free to contact us anytime!

Best regards,

• dough13
    edited April 2011
    Options

Thanks for the reply but I am not talking about restoring a backup I am talking about creating one. Maybe the bit defender software should work around this Microsoft issue so that the average person wont have to fool around with the system reserved partition and take many more steps than the average user would be able to or want to do to have a proper backup with bit defender 2011 installed. I know this may reduce BD 2011 ability to catch threats but i would rather have a bit less security until they can work around/fix the problem than not being able to create a proper backup with the built in windows backup solution.

Disabling real time protection did nothing to change the error creating the backup ,Uninstalling Bit defender and running the uninstall tool in safe mode still left my system unable to Create a full backup, not until a full reinstall of windows without installing bit defender again did my backups create successfully .

This leads me to believe that files were modified/created in the system reserved partition that were not restored to the original state after the uninstall of BD , that in my mind is an issue on bit defenders end. I don't understand why they would leave Bit defender this way it is a serious issue that needs prompt attention .. I sure hope they are working with Microsoft to fix this..