Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdender Blocks Syslinuxnew.exe

Hi.

I decided to download latest Ubuntu version from the official site.

I extracted and used the tool inside the iso, Universal-USB-Installer, to try ubuntu from my usb.

But Bitdenfer keeps blocking syslinuxnew.exe.

I tried to add to exclusion list, disable the antivirus for 5 minutes but didn't work.

So, what can i do?

Thanks

post-67259-1310690934_thumb.png

Comments

• I see by the BD message in your scree shot that Active Virus Control (AVC) is the specific BD module blocking the program. There are 2 places in BD to add exclusions - scanning & AVC. Let's make sure you have the exclusion entered in the right place. Follow the steps in THIS POST and try again.

Post back with your results.

Regards,

• Follow the steps in THIS POST and try again.

Well it would work IF either of the two conditions would be true,

1) Universal USB Installer did not did not create a randomly named folder in your TEMP folder to extract syslinuxnew.exe

OR

2) If Bitdefender would allow wildcards in the exclusion:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\*.tmp\syslinuxnew.exe

So what other options do we have other that uninstalling Bitdefender in order to use Universal USB Installer?

--

Jonathan

• So what other options do we have other that uninstalling Bitdefender in order to use Universal USB Installer?

Okay here is what DOES work.

How to use Universal-USB-Installer with BitDefender successfully

1. Open Bitdefender dashboard in expert mode.
    2. Click on AntiVirus left-hand section tab
    3. Click on Advanced Settings button on right
    4. Uncheck Active Virus Control

That is it, no exclusions or disabling Real-time Protection, just temporarily disable AVC

HTH

--

Jonathan

• Unknown
    edited August 2011

Hello Jonathan,

Please try to add the file "Syslinuxnew.exe" as exclusion from AVC / IDS and test to see if the issue reproduces with the two features enabled.

1. Open BitDefender and switch it to Expert View;

2. Go to 'Antivirus';

3. Click on 'Advanced Settings';

4. In the new window click on the third tab called 'Exclusions';

5. Add the exe file and let me know if the issue persist;

Also, please provide me with a download link for Syslinuxnew.exe (the same version you are using and having issues with). I would like to escalate it for analysis and check it for false positive.

Thank you!

Regards,

• lws4art@centralva.net
    edited August 2011
    Please try to add the file "Syslinuxnew.exe" as exclusion from AVC / IDS and test to see if the issue reproduces with the two features enabled.

Regards,

Hi Daniel

As I mentioned in an earlier post (point #2) the exclusion list requires FULL path filespecs to the app. Wildcards and incomplete paths are not accepted by the dialog. And since the Universal USB Installer unpacks into a randomly named temporary folder you cannot exclude it in BitDefender. Disabling is the only option that I have found until they change this constraint.

--

Jonathan