Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

[resolved] Search Advisor Still On / Turn Off The Search Advisor

Options

The Search Advisor is still ON even if the Browser Security Tool Bar is OFF. And it turns OFF if I enable and disable the Tool Bar.

Comments

• Hello,

If you go to "Settings->Privacy Control->Antiphishing Tab" you will see to options:

1. Show BitDefender Toolbar: you will not see the BitDefender Toolbar web you browse a website

2. Search advisor: by setting this option to off , when you search a link on google/bing/yahoo your links will not be scanned anymore

So to be able to disable search engine link scanning you will have to use the second option.

By using the on/off option directly from our in browser toolbar you are disabling all our http protection including search advisor

I hope this is useful to you

regards,

Dragos

• Every time I restart my computer the search advisor comes back on.

The settings are NOT sticking on a reboot.

This is VERY annoying. Please fix and release an update asap.

• I have the same problem. When I switch SA On and OFF in the settings it works fine till the next reboot.

Any solution allready?

• I discovered that SA in the normal settings was OF but in the Toolbar it still was ON.

I switched SA in the Toolbar to OFF did a reboot and the SA still was inactive...

So you need to switch it of twice (settings and toolbar)

• Chimel
    edited September 2011
    Options

It's probably the same issue as the show toolbar one already escalated 2 weeks ago:

Every single time you restart the computer, some settings are ignored and the default settings are used instead.

Thus you have a browser behaving exactly opposite to the settings shown in Bitdefender.

Your only option is as you found out, to enable then disable the setting after every reboot.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=27973

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=27888

Start by the end of the threads.

• Still aftere every reboot I have to manualy switch the toolbar off again.

I am developing a greater dislike every day for this product because this issue stil is not solved!

Is it on a buglist or something like that so I might expect a solution soon?

• coolcool1227
    Options

I am still facing the issue.

• Turn off the Search Advisor. It is on. I want it off.

Privacy Controls > Antiphishing > Search Advisor = OFF.

This does not work.

Turn off the Search Advisor. It is on. I want it off.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi masada and welcome to our forums

Have you tried to disable it from the toolbar?

Have you reload the browser?

Thank you.

• Have you tried to disable it from the toolbar?

Thank you.

I have, but every time I open my browser it comes back. And with 2012, I've discovered a little black/grey blotch at the top of every page I view. Turns out, that's another Bitdefender thing.

My whole problem is that 2012 is extremely intrusive. It's almost as if the program will never let you forget that it's protecting you. While that's a noble enough excuse and all, I know it's protecting me because I'm paying for it. I would expect nothing less.

I'd like this program to be less clingy and simply protect my PC in the background; doing everything it's capable of and only letting me know that it's about to do a scheduled system scan or if I'm being hacked or infested with a virus.

How do I go about removing all these alerts and distractions, without shutting them off?

• That last sentence didn't make sense. My point was to ask if I could shut off the notices, whilst the actual process stays on and protects me.

• I have the Search Advisor switched OFF and it stays OFF. Are you saying that after some event (like powering off/on the PC) the switch is back in the ON position? If that is what is happening, I would suggest either a Repair of BD or an uninstall (using the Uninstall Tool) and a re-install.

The grey tab seen on the web browser is another issue and has been discussed HERE.

Regards,

• Thanks for that Nikki.

The issue stems from the highly annoying Bitdefender Toolbar, which is turned OFF. It doesn't matter, it just does what it wants. The options are improperly coded making it rather useless.

The link you have there is unresolved (scroll to the bottom). Although I appreciate the effort, I've already seen this page before because I looked into this issue a great length before posting my issue.

• Yes, I know the Toolbar (gray tab) issue is unresolved in the topic I linked to. As a workaround, when I boot my PC, the 1st thing I do is open BD, toggle the BD Toolbar option switch ON then back OFF; and then switch Laptop mode back to ON since it's setting does not hold after a reboot. Then I open my browser.

Regards,

• Wow. Does that ever seem unnecessary.

Hopefully Bitdefender will soon give the paying customers option instead of such an insistence.

• Antoon
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Wow. Does that ever seem unnecessary.

Hopefully Bitdefender will soon give the paying customers option instead of such an insistence.

Realy annoying indeed. The issue excist since the release of 2012 and must be known to Bitdefender but they don't respond to it.

I didn't even get a responce on a ticket I opened about this issue.

So after every reboot I have to manualy switch the toolbar to on and off again to stop search advisor.

• Unknown
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hello,

The issue should have been resolved. Please note that it's a must to close the browser and re-open it for the toolbar to disappear (open a new tab will also do the trick). I have tested and the settings are still OFF after restarting the PC. Can you please test it and let me know if still occurs?

Thank you!

Kind regards,

• Hello,

Please read my answer below:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=123977

Update Bitdefender, restart the PC, delete browser cache using a program like CCleaner or the Tune-Up module of BitDefender or manually through the Internet Options and let me know if the issue still persist. Are you using the global Google website or a local (regional) one ?

Global: http://www.Google.com

Regional: country related Google website.

Test to see if the issue persist (if SA still check the search results) using the website: http://www.Google.com/ncr where ncr stands for No Country Region.

Regards,

• The issue is not resolved.

After the update and cleaning of the browser history and reboot the toolbar still appears and searchadvisor is operational.

In the settings menu the toolbar is still OFF so I have to switch On and OFF again...

• Antoon
    edited October 2011
    Options

The problem still exist. The settings are still OFF just like before, that's not the problem, the functionality is still ON that's the issue.

So we need to switch ON and OFF to disable.

• bd127
    edited October 2011
    Options

I can't get this toolbar to stay off across a reboot and the privacy settings do not always reflect the current state. I've tested in both administrator and user modes and these are my results.

User Mode

=======

Initial state - IE8 shows the toolbar and Google has green ticks next to all results

Bitdefender privacy settings are Toolbar ON, Search Advisor ON

Change settings to OFF, OFF

After a full browser refresh with Ctrl-F5, the toolbar and green ticks are gone

Reboot back to user mode and the settings are back to ON, ON and the browser is displaying the toolbar and the green ticks.

Administrator mode

============

Initial state - IE8 shows the toolbar and Google has green ticks next to all results

Bitdefender privacy settings are Toolbar OFF, Search Advisor OFF

After a full browser refresh with Ctrl-F5, the toolbar and green ticks are still present

The settings are toggled to ON and then back to OFF

After a full browser refresh with Ctrl-F5, the toolbar and green ticks are gone

Reboot back to administrator mode and the settings are OFF, OFF and the browser is displaying the toolbar and the green ticks.

In neither case do the settings persist but user mode is more honest and shows the current state accurately.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi.

A product update was released today. You have all the details here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=123970

Please update Bitdefender, wait for the process to finish and reboot your machine.

Let me know if the situation is fixed after this.

Thank you.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi

Please follow the steps from this post and let me know if the situation is fixed.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=124277

Have a nice day.

• bd127
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Hi

Please follow the steps from this post and let me know if the situation is fixed.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=124277

Have a nice day.

Hi Cristi,

In the UK we had that update about a week ago and I didn't notice any change in the behaviour of the toolbar and search advisor. The tests in my post were conducted on the latest version.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi

Do you Use Windows 7 or XP?

I'm asking this to see if you can upgrade to Internet Explorer 9.

Thank you.

• Hi

Do you Use Windows 7 or XP?

I'm asking this to see if you can upgrade to Internet Explorer 9.

Thank you.

Hi, I am using W7 and both IE9 or Google Chrome and have the same issue with both browsers so upgrading to IE9 won't help I guess.

In user settings the toolbar and search advisor are always OFF and stay off after a reboot but the toolbar is back and the green dots are back too.

I have to switch ON and OFF in the user settings and restart te browser to get rid of the toolbar and the green dots.

• I have the 1366 build and the problem still exist

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options

Topics merged.

Hi

Please tell me if you can turn off/on the toolbar from your browser (click on the black "dot" and the toolbar will appear - turn it on/off).

Reboot your browser. Thank you.

• Topics merged.

Hi

Please tell me if you can turn off/on the toolbar from your browser (click on the black "dot" and the toolbar will appear - turn it on/off).

Reboot your browser. Thank you.

No. I have to go to the settings.

When I turn it off from the browser it is their again after browser reboot.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi

Thank you for your response.

What about if you turn it off from the browser, close the browser and turn it off from the product?

• Come on guys, this is bordering ridiculous. This is a known 100% repro issue reported in several threads for 3 months, please escalate and let the Bitdefender developers work on this bug. There is no need to ask customers to try random behaviors to provide more data, this needs to be fixed now, not discussed at length any further. Devs can try these suggestions too if needed, but even I wouldn't ask them. Their time and ours would be better spent fixing the toolbar enabling/disabling. Maybe that will even fix the Search Advisor bug at the same time, or at least give them a hint on why it has this same issue and allow them to fix it on the go.

• Antoon
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Hi

Thank you for your response.

What about if you turn it off from the browser, close the browser and turn it off from the product?

As stated before, in the product the switch is OFF all the time.

The product just don't act like it is OFF after a PC reboot it acts like it is ON.

I have to set the switch to ON and OFF in the product to have the products act as if it's OFF.

So doing what you asked is impossible because the switch is still OFF in the product after turning it OFF in the browser it just don't act like it.

I feel we are going in circels here. Can't you guys reproduce the error?

• In the UK I've just installed the update to IS2012 version 15.0.33.1409. Unfortunately there is no change to the behaviour of the toobar and it is still exactly as described in my previous post.

• coolcool1227
    Options

I'm still facing the same situation.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi

Thank you for your feedback.

I've send all the data to our development team and they are working to fix this issue.

Th update will be delivered via automatic updates without user intervention.

We are sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you in advance for your support and understanding.

• I've send all the data to our development team and they are working to fix this issue.

Th update will be delivered via automatic updates without user intervention.

That might be the first step to a soluytion ;)

Is there anything you can say about the due date of this fix?

It took about 3 months to get this issue to the dev's, I hope we can expect a better performance from now on...

Regards,

Antoon

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Antoon

Please note that this issue was reported by Dany last month. Yesterday I've just sent new data about this subject to the Dev Team.

They are working on a fix and we hope that it will be delivered soon.

We are sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience and for the cooperation with BitDefender team. Have a nice day.

• This is affecting me too. I raised a support ticket in August and this has still not been fixed (I'm running the latest version via auto update). Would love to have a fix as soon as possible.

Hi Antoon

Please note that this issue was reported by Dany last month. Yesterday I've just sent new data about this subject to the Dev Team.

They are working on a fix and we hope that it will be delivered soon.

We are sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience and for the cooperation with BitDefender team. Have a nice day.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi pdutta and welcome to our forums

Please follow the steps explained in the article below and send me via PM the generated log file:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If you were already asked to generate the log file, disregard the message above and just post the ticket ID.

Thank you.

• It's very troubling that this "minor" issue is not fixed yet. PLEASE fix it!

• rootkit
    Options

Hi

Thank you for your post.

The last update was only for the anti-malware engine (.34).

The issue will be fixed soon.

No ETA for now.

Have a nice day.

• I don't see how this even needs to be fixed because it was added to the 2011 version. Why can't they just strip it out?

I'd like to have a link to the 2011 version in the mean time. It was working fine and was FAR less intrusive than 2012. Where can I get it?

• Installation links are in the "Installation" subforum of "Bitdefender 2011 Products."

Note that the Search Advisor bug seems to be gone, I don't see the Search Advisor icons on Google searches anymore.

Maybe it's because I disable the Bitdefender toolbar manually after each reboot, which has still not been fixed after over 3 months!!!

• Thanks Chimel.

Your situation could just be a bug that fixed the bug. Who knows. I'd like the fix to be a lot more concrete than that.

Considering the number of people complaining about this, I'm assuming BitDefender will make some sort of announcement stating this issue is indeed no longer a problem, and that we now have more control over the product we paid for.

• I think it all stems from the toolbar bug. My situation is exactly the same as described by the original poster @ONT:

If I enable/disable the toolbar, which is the only way to disable it, then search advisor also works as defined in the settings.

If it's shown as disabled in the settings, then it acts like it's disabled.

So it should put more incentive on Bitdefender to fix the toolbar bug (my "gray wart" thread.)

Even if the settings lost after reboot are not the cause, this fixed toolbar bug would help us and Bitdefender better investigate the issue.

It's ridiculous that this bug still hasn't been fixed in some automatic update 3 months after being reported. Or detected during the beta.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options

Hello

@ masada

The download links are available here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=20566

@ everyone

Some bugs are not easy to fix.

The next TrafficLight update(when it will be released) should solve all the issues reported with this module.

The Dev. Team are working to release it ASAP.

Thank you.

• @Cristi

The issue isn't the bug, rather the fact it exists at all. It's clearly a feature that many don't want. So the assumption that paying customers want it on, and the next-to-impossible task of turning it off, is the real problem. That's actually why I'm switching back to the 2011 version.

As long as my antivirus program prevents viruses from destroying my computer -- by running in the background unobtrusively -- that's all is needed.

• Indeed very very annoying. I don't understand why Bitdefender does not solve this issue in a quick fix.

The customers are confronted at least once a day with this issue.

What do you think happens with customer satisfaction this way?

Maybe Bitdefender should compensate by lengthen the expiration time...

• rootkit
    Options

Hello

In some cases, the issue can't be resolved by a patch or a quick update pushed on the servers.

And this issue is one of them.

Thank you for your support and patience.

Have a great weekend.

• Hello

In some cases, the issue can't be resolved by a patch or a quick update pushed on the servers.

And this issue is one of them.

Thank you for your support and patience.

Have a great weekend.

I hope for your team are fixed this issue in a coming day.

I very annoying to a this feature.

This discussion has been closed.