Bitdefender Key Still Displayed

saud
edited August 2011 in Feature request

I posted a message on 2012 beta campaign about the key should be hidden but today I saw that the key is still displayed in bitdefender av. Anyone using the computer can see the registration key and it ll spread around the world very quickly, it is a big piracy issue and bd did nothing.

Comments

• I agree, it should be hidden from the License Info screen, maybe showing the last four digits and maybe with an option to resend it to the original email account or something that can be verified to be the true owner of the license. Or just ask to enter the account's password for confirmation.

• Hello,

I remember your suggestion and you were not the only one asking for it however, it was not yet implemented. On a side note, why would you allow someone to use your PC if you do not trust him/her ?

• Microsoft created guest accounts with limited privileges for this very purpose, so we can let anybody use our computer or have a "shared" computer for guests to use. However trusted, it doesn't mean they should be allowed to pry on our license keys, as they can, the way BitDefender is designed.

Besides, in the case of our kids, with all the visits, exchanges, sleepovers and whatever they do in their locked rooms ;) I wouldn't know who is there and using the computers and when... ^-^

I set up a settings password in BDAV hoping this might block the License Info feature, but it doesn't. I don't even know what it does, as I have been able to modify BDAV settings and it never asked me for my password. There's no help on this feature either, but it would be the best way to protect the license key: If someone wants to change the settings OR view the License Info, ask for the password.

• Good point Chimel. I will move this to the Feature Request forum category and escalate it. When I will have an answer, regardless if it was accepted or not, I will keep you informed.

• Cool, thanks, Daniel. I thought it would be easier to use an existing feature such as the settings password.

• Me too but not sure if it can be implemented that way. As soon as a solution will be given, I will share it with you.

• Hello,

I remember your suggestion and you were not the only one asking for it however, it was not yet implemented. On a side note, why would you allow someone to use your PC if you do not trust him/her ?

Why would I allow someone? Its because I have 5 PC license for 3 years and I installed bd on my moms and dads computer and they dont know nothing about these kinds of stuff and they let anyone use their computers, not everyone is a computer expert. I know how it works but older people or newbie doesnt know about piracy issue. Atleast encrypt the key and display the encrypted key.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hi

Sorry for the delayed reply.

This request will not be implemented because it creates confusions, especially to the novice users that only install the software and forget about it.

We can always change your key if you think it was stolen from your machine.

Thank you in advance for understanding. Have a nice day.

• i have the same exact problem i am admin in a small office an have 30 licence of BDIS so it use on user PC that can see password and also on 2012 version if you click on mybitdefender it automatically login to account and user have access to all setting, but i never type my password to login in time of install there but in 2011 version page loaded and asked for user an pass, and to my surprise user with limited account also have same access it was gray out in 2011 version. so answer my question a user with this kind of access can't take key from PC and use it on another system ? in 2011 version the email and pass of account used for installation it was some kind of prevention for user that take key from PC but 2012 i believe anybody can install it with these key? i want an explanation and assurance that if my user take key ( as i have no way to prevent them even with an limited account ) i can give it back. and if you change key to user ( and maybe black list the old one ) so hide it and in case of user confusions and novice you can send them new ( IMHO no novice user can handle BD :blink: ).

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello

I will discuss this situation with my colleagues and I will come back with an answer.

Also If you suspect some illegal activities regarding the license keys, we can blacklist them and give you a new set.

Also we have a protection on our servers. If the license key is activated on more accounts, it will automatically get backlisted.

Thank you.