Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Active Virus Control Blocking Chrome?

Options

Hi. I rarely have any problems with BitDefender 2011, but today when I tried to start up Chrome, nothing happened.

After much virus scanning, malware scanning etc, I noticed that the AVC was stopping Chrome from uninstalling (i tried re-installing Chrome). I disabled AVC and now Chrome installs and works fine, but as soon as I re-enable AVC, Chrome stops working again. It doesn't generate any errors/warnings, Chrome just starts up, but never loads any webpages.

Any ideas?

BitDefender Internet Security 2011: 14.0.30.357

Engine: 7.39201

Sigs: 9231753

Comments

• Have you tried adding the Chrome executable to the AVC Exclusion list?

Antivirus-->Shield-->Advanced Settings-->Exclusions

Regards,

• Have you tried adding the Chrome executable to the AVC Exclusion list?

Antivirus-->Shield-->Advanced Settings-->Exclusions

Regards,

I have done that but now I'm concerned that I'm not getting protection while browsing the web. I don't see why Bitdefender is suddenly thinking Chrome is malicious.

• So is Chrome now running since adding it to the Exclusion list?

The detection may be the result of updated definition files. You are still protected while browsing the web. The only thing that has changed is the the Chrome executable is no longer be checked by AVC. Any site you browse to or download from will still be checked by the other BD modules.

Regards,

• So is Chrome now running since adding it to the Exclusion list?

The detection may be the result of updated definition files. You are still protected while browsing the web. The only thing that has changed is the the Chrome executable is no longer be checked by AVC. Any site you browse to or download from will still be checked by the other BD modules.

Regards,

Yes I have added it to the exclusion list and it then works fine. Ive also tried installing BD 2012, and it is doing the same in that too. Is this just happening to me? I'm surprised there aren't more queries considering Chrome is a popular browser these days. Would have thought it would be affecting everyone if it is a definition file causing it.

• Yes I have added it to the exclusion list and it then works fine. Ive also tried installing BD 2012, and it is doing the same in that too. Is this just happening to me? I'm surprised there aren't more queries considering Chrome is a popular browser these days. Would have thought it would be affecting everyone if it is a definition file causing it.

I've just had the same problem with Chrome just coming up with a white page whatever I do. Finally found out that I had to either rename the chrome.exe file eg to chrome1.exe, or start chrome with a -no-sandbox option or add chrome.exe to exclusions list in Bitdefender (2012).

I already have a call open with Support that I have been waiting on a reply for ages for with seccenter crashing regularly. I was also a victim (though far less than some) of the huge system false positives problem, so now I am really getting fed up with this product which is taking up far more of my time than it's worth. Unless they reply to my support call and resolve that problem and problems like this, like many other customers it seems, I will not be renewing when my license expires.

• I don't know if its related, but MSE had a problem with Chrome recently too. Maybe this is the same thing?

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2011/09/problem...t-security.html

• Can you tell us what version of Windows do you have?

Thank you.

• Can you tell us what version of Windows do you have?

Thank you.

Windows 7 64bit

• The situation should be solved by now.

Can you confirm?

• The situation should be solved by now.

Can you confirm?

Updated BitDefender to latest version of 2012, and also updated to latest version of Chrome 14.0.835.202, but I'm still getting the same problem. Chrome loads up, but never loads a page, just get a blank white page and egg timer. If i rename chrome.exe to chrome1.exe it works ok, but this stops the Chrome updater working. I still have it in my exclusion list to get it working.

• operabilus
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Updated BitDefender to latest version of 2012, and also updated to latest version of Chrome 14.0.835.202, but I'm still getting the same problem. Chrome loads up, but never loads a page, just get a blank white page and egg timer. If i rename chrome.exe to chrome1.exe it works ok, but this stops the Chrome updater working. I still have it in my exclusion list to get it working.

Hello,

We couldn't reproduce this issue internally so far. It might be an incompatibility between a Chrome plugin and AVC. Could you tell us what Chrome plugins/addons do you have installed? With their versions, if it's possible. Or have you recently installed (or updated) some Chrome plugin?

You can type chrome://plugins/ in a Chrome window, and the list of installed plugins will be shown to you, some of them with their version. Out team will try to install all those plugins on our test machines.

Alternatively, you can try to disable all plugins in chrome, activate AVC again or remove Chrome from the exceptions list, start Chrome again with all plugins disabled (it should be now monitored by AVC), and check whether it works or not. If it works, the problem is surely an incompatibility between AVC and some plugin. You can then try to enable each plugin at a time, restart Chrome, and check whether it works or not. When it stops working, the last plugin enabled is the one AVC is interfering with.

Thank you for your time.

• Hello,

We couldn't reproduce this issue internally so far. It might be an incompatibility between a Chrome plugin and AVC. Could you tell us what Chrome plugins/addons do you have installed? With their versions, if it's possible. Or have you recently installed (or updated) some Chrome plugin?

You can type chrome://plugins/ in a Chrome window, and the list of installed plugins will be shown to you, some of them with their version. Out team will try to install all those plugins on our test machines.

Alternatively, you can try to disable all plugins in chrome, activate AVC again or remove Chrome from the exceptions list, start Chrome again with all plugins disabled (it should be now monitored by AVC), and check whether it works or not. If it works, the problem is surely an incompatibility between AVC and some plugin. You can then try to enable each plugin at a time, restart Chrome, and check whether it works or not. When it stops working, the last plugin enabled is the one AVC is interfering with.

Thank you for your time.

Hi. The only plugin I use is RoboForm, which is at version 7.5.3.

I have tried removing the plugin, and completely uninstalling RoboForm but it made no difference. Chrome still doesn't work while AVC enabled. Also, its not just web pages that don't load, none of the Chrome settings pages, extension settings pages etc load.

As someone else posted in this thread, it does work with AVC enabled if --no-sandbox is added to the Chrome shortcut, and renaming the chrome.exe file to something else, like chrome1.exe

• I have just tried installing a version of Chrome from over a month ago, and the issue persists with a version that I know worked back then, so it doesn't appear to be anything different about Chrome causing the problem. I've also completely uninstalled and re-installed BitDefender 2012, in case of a dodgy update, but there is no change.

I have noticed however that if I disable AVC, then load Chrome, then re-enable AVC, Chrome seems to work OK, so it is just the initial load of Chrome that is being affected by AVC.

• I have just tried installing a version of Chrome from over a month ago, and the issue persists with a version that I know worked back then, so it doesn't appear to be anything different about Chrome causing the problem. I've also completely uninstalled and re-installed BitDefender 2012, in case of a dodgy update, but there is no change.

I have noticed however that if I disable AVC, then load Chrome, then re-enable AVC, Chrome seems to work OK, so it is just the initial load of Chrome that is being affected by AVC.

When you reinstall Chrome, as far as I know, the plugins are not being uninstalled. I have no further ideas for the moment, only the fact that AVC might interfere with one of the plugins. A list of Chrome addons might help us.

I'm just trying to make sure I understood correctly: this behavior happens only with BD2012? Or it happens also with BD2011?

• When you reinstall Chrome, as far as I know, the plugins are not being uninstalled. I have no further ideas for the moment, only the fact that AVC might interfere with one of the plugins. A list of Chrome addons might help us.

I'm just trying to make sure I understood correctly: this behavior happens only with BD2012? Or it happens also with BD2011?

Nothing other than roboform that I did completely uninstall. I originally highlighted the problem in BD2011 but I upgraded to 2012 to try solving the problem but it persists in that too.

• Nothing other than roboform that I did completely uninstall. I originally highlighted the problem in BD2011 but I upgraded to 2012 to try solving the problem but it persists in that too.

So, after removing Roboform, the problem persists? You can check the list of installed plugins by typing chrome://plugins in a chrome window. In the right-upper cornen there's a [+] Details button that you can click. You can also save all the content and attach it here as a text file. There must be something there, AVC is interfering with. If it's not a Chrome plugin, there might be some other software that you have installed, that has some DLLs loaded in Chrome.

• Sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking. I thought plugins and extensions were the same thing, but now I see they aren't.

I did uninstall RoboForm and there was no change.

I will try disabling all the plugins later today and report back if I find anything.

• Sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking. I thought plugins and extensions were the same thing, but now I see they aren't.

I did uninstall RoboForm and there was no change.

I will try disabling all the plugins later today and report back if I find anything.

OK, thank you. If there's no plugin causing the incompatibility, there might be some software you also have installed. One of my colleagues will give you a support tool that generates some logs on which we can perform some further investigation.

• Here's the location from were you can download the support tool.

http://www.bitdefender.com/files/Knowledge...Supporttool.exe

Double-click on the Bitdefender_Supporttool.exe file (if you are using Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the Bitdefender_Supporttool application file and select "Run as Administrator");

. Fill in the required information and press the "Next" button (make sure you use a valid email address and include a detailed description of the issue you are encountering);

NOTE! If you want to reproduce the issue and enable additional logging you will have to restart the computer and then use the Support Tool again after reproducing the issue to complete the data gathering;

. A file will be created on your desktop (BDSP_*);

You can send me the results by PM.

Thank you !

• Hi, as requested, I disabled all the plugins in Chrome, re-enabled AVC, but Chrome still fails to load correctly.

I will PM the files from the support tool.

• Hi, as requested, I disabled all the plugins in Chrome, re-enabled AVC, but Chrome still fails to load correctly.

I will PM the files from the support tool.

FYI, dont worry about this now. My subscription was due for renewal soon, and seeing as there appears to have been no movement since I sent in the results from the support took, I have purchased a competitors product which doesn't have the problem I have with BitDefender.

• ona
    Options

I reproduced this problem using "Trusteer Rapport". If you disable this software with AVC ON, Chrome will function normally.

Can you confirm that you have installed this software? If the answer is NO, maybe another program with similar functionality is causing this issue.

• Hi kingkobra74,

we finally reproduced your issue with chrome.

As Raul Tosa said we have an incompatibility with an installed application: Rapport (from Trusteer).

Using 2 security solutions at the same time you will encounter unexpected problems.

This application interferes with "Active Virus Control" protection mechanism and a fix for this issue implies major architecture changes from our side.

If you rename chrome.exe to chrome1.exe then the issue doesn't reproduce, Chrome being protected only by "Active Virus Control", because Trusteer Rapport doesn't monitor Chrome anymore.

There are two possible solutions:

1. Uninstall Trusteer Rapport (recommended)

2. Add chrome.exe to the exceptions list

Thank you for commitment!

• Hi, glad you figured out the problem.

I assume there must have been an update to Rapport that broke BitDefender, as I have had both installed for at least 12 months with no issues, and my other browsers aren't affected.

I have changed anti-virus applications, but still glad that it has been resolved.

Cheers.

• rootkit
    Options

Hi

Thank you very much for the feedback.

If you need more information regarding BitDefender products please do not hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day.