Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

"port Scan Detected" Pops Up Every 10 Minutes

Options
Thyrokio
edited October 2011 in Firewall

I get the following alert extremely frequently everyday: "A port scan agaisnt your computer was detected and blocked."

It seems that my laptop (which is in my home network in windows 7 64bit) port scans my desktop (the PC on which the issue is present, which also runs the same OS) all the time. I'm also getting it from an unknown IP address sometimes (like once in two days?).

Both PCs have Bitdefender internet security installed, both are fully up to date. Both are configured to allow the other's IP address under Firewall>advanced>adpater rules.

I used Bitdefender support two weeks ago and sent them data with the provided tool, this was my answer:

"Be informed that for the Block Port Scans issue you have reported has been

acknowledged by our team and is currently being worked on for a fix. The fix

will be done by means of automatic update and won't require any additional

action from your part.

At the moment to avoid the pop-up message you receive please open your

Bitdefender, go to Settings -> Firewall -> Advanced and turn off the Paranoid

mode."

This fails to stop the popup message, I never enabled Paranoid mode at all, it was always disabled. I even enabled it for two seconds and disabled it again to see if it would fix anything (like what you need to do to remove the Bitdefender toolbar from Firefox...) and it didn't.

The fact that I am unable to stop the popup from being incredibly disruptive and annoying is baffling.

Every alert or popup in a security suit should be fully configurable. I'm glad that Bitdefender stops port scans, I don't need to know every time though, especially if it disrupts what I'm doing.

Why is it even blocking them despite the fact that I've allowed traffic from my laptop anyways?

I was happier with Bitdefender 2011, in fact, I never had any issues with it. Instead of an upgrade, this feels more like a downgrade.

Please, if you can't figure how out why this is happening, at least give us an update with an option to disable the popup. It's logged under Events anyways, so there's no big loss if you do that.

I even uninstalled Bitdefender with the Bitdefender uninstaller (provided on your website) and reinstalled it. It was wasted effort though.

Additional information which could be useful:

Auto pilot mode = Off

IDS= Normal

Paranoid mode= OFF

General rules = unchanged from default

Block port scans= On (I doubt it's a good idea to turn it off...)

I know this feels like it's addressed to someone who works for Bitdenfer, and it is, but if anyone else has any input, please don't hold back.

Comments