Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Malware Website

Options

I know this website where one can find all kind of very bad malware. BD detects them but doesn't delete or disinfect them

Comments

• Your point?

If the malware is archived, then BitDefender won't delete it. If you unpack the malware, then it'll be deleted. That's the best guess I can make based on the less-than-insufficient information you've provided. ;)

• s4u
    s4u
    edited November 2007
    Options

point is that it doesn't do anything. Why doesn't it delete when archived?

I'll test and let you know.

• bluesprite
    edited November 2007
    Options

If a virus is inside a zip file or another archive, it won't be deleted. I also think that's a weakness, but on the other hand, the moment you try to unzip the virus, it will be blocked and deleted/quarantined or whatever you've set it to do. There are some types of archives or databases that can't be modified by 3rd party, but I think the most popular ones can. Maybe you should post a feature request for that. For example, there might be the following options in the settings:

When a virus is found inside an archive -

1. Delete virus.

2. Delete archive.

3. Log and leave intact.

• Niels
    Options

Archived infections can't cause any harm only when you extract them. So you are safe at that moment.

I personally think that it is difficult for adding a rebuilding process for recreating the archive. It could be possible for known formats such as .zip, .rar but If am not wrong the source code isn't free so BitDefender (Softwin) need to pay how to recreate it. If I am not wrong other antiviruses reports also an infected archive or sometimes they delete the entire archive.

Best regards

Niels

• I've seen antiviruses that can delete files inside archives, or delete the entire archive, depending on settings. Another thing that comes to mind as an option is to rename the infected archive, adding the word INFECTED to the file name. That way when you come across the archive you'll know it contains a virus.

• s4u
    Options

Had a look at the files again. They look like zip files but they all are .exe files. Si that will make it different I guess.

Any virus analist around here?

• Maybe they're self-extracting archives? If that is the case, the exe files are not viruses themselves, they are only programmed to extract the archive. But why not run a context menu scan and check what's the error BitDefender displays? After you try to delete them and it says it can't be deleted, click on the name of the malware and it will show some information why it can't be deleted. If you want a virus researcher to take a look, attach a file to your post here. But since you're saying they're detected, it's not an issue with signatures but with the way BitDefender handles infected files. Have you tried to right click and extract the contents manually, without executing any files?

• It you send me a PM (Personal Message) with the link (don't post them on the forum because users may accidentally click it and get infected) I check it out and say exactly what the issue is.

Best regards.

• s4u
    Options
    It you send me a PM (Personal Message) with the link (don't post them on the forum because users may accidentally click it and get infected) I check it out and say exactly what the issue is.

Best regards.

That's the reason why I didn't before