Bitdefender 2012 Firewall Blocking Nearly Every Program.

Good morning,

This past weekend, I installed Bitdefender 2012 on my parent's computer with the hopes that it would provide better protection with less hassle than what they had before. Unfortunately I've run into a problem that has me scratching my head. The Bitdefender firewall is indiscriminately blocking a large number of programs from running, some examples are parts of their ATI video drivers, the Quicktime process(qttask) and their webbrowser/email client(Seamonkey) as well as several third party games that don't even require network access(IE not ones that came with Windows). It didn't appear to block IE, which was about the only program I tried while testing that it didn't. Below are some of the steps I took while troubleshooting:

- Varied the protection level, all three levels produced the same blocking result.

- Ensured BitDefender was fully up to date.

- Disabled the Firewall to confirm this was the source of the blocking, all programs ran fine without the Firewall in place.

Having said all of this, I have just a couple of questions. Is this behavior of blocking all processes unknown to BD from running normal? Firewalls control network traffic, and as such should not affect the ability of a process to run. Even the built in Windows Firewall allows programs to run, but will ask if a program should be allowed to access network resources instead of blocking them outright. My second question, is there an easy way to adjust the current blocking behavior to either ask or at least not interfere with programs that don't even require network resources?

General Computer specs:

Windows XP (Fully up to date)

Intel 2.3GHz Dual Core processor

2Gigs Ram

ATI Video Card(Can't recall the exact model, but it's a basic non-gaming one)

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Jason S.

Comments