Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender And Hardware Keylogger

Options

Does Bitdefender detect Hardware Keyloggers? And how?

Comments

• coolcool1227
    Options

Any info?

• coolcool1227
    Options

Any reply?

• coolcool1227
    Options

Does anyone would like to answer?

• columbo
    Options

Just curious, how would the average household PC user not be aware of a hardware keylogging device installed on their PC? It sounds like for the home user, someone would have to break into their house to install it, or sell them a PC with such a device installed.

Awhile back I had to ask for a software to be considered a False Positive, as at that time, some AV companies considered it a Keylogger. Some of the more reputable and more widely known ones are now being white listed as legitimate.

The below was taken from this Wikipedia link:

A hardware keylogger has an advantage over a software solution; because it is not dependent on the computer's operating system it will not interfere with any program running on the target machine and hence cannot be detected by any software.

Also taken from this Wikipedia link under the heading, Anti-Spyware Anti-Virus Programs:

Also, software-based anti-spyware cannot defeat non-software keyloggers (for example, hardware keyloggers attached to keyboards will always receive keystrokes before any software-based anti-spyware application).

I guess if Bitdefender has something revolutionary in their Keylogger scanning abilities, it could be found, but it doesn't sound like it, unless Christian says otherwise. Again, for the average home user, who has private control over his PC should it even be a concern? Unless they bring it in to Anonymous, to get repaired. ;)

I would be more concerned with ATM card readers, where those are open to the public.

• rootkit
    Options

Hello :)

It depends by what do you mean by hardware keylogger.

If it's a device connected between the keyboard and the main unit, no antivirus software in this world can detect it.

Please be more specific.

Thank you.

• coolcool1227
    Options
    Just curious, how would the average household PC user not be aware of a hardware keylogging device installed on their PC? It sounds like for the home user, someone would have to break into their house to install it, or sell them a PC with such a device installed.

Awhile back I had to ask for a software to be considered a False Positive, as at that time, some AV companies considered it a Keylogger. Some of the more reputable and more widely known ones are now being white listed as legitimate.

The below was taken from this Wikipedia link:

A hardware keylogger has an advantage over a software solution; because it is not dependent on the computer's operating system it will not interfere with any program running on the target machine and hence cannot be detected by any software.

Also taken from this Wikipedia link under the heading, Anti-Spyware Anti-Virus Programs:

Also, software-based anti-spyware cannot defeat non-software keyloggers (for example, hardware keyloggers attached to keyboards will always receive keystrokes before any software-based anti-spyware application).

I guess if Bitdefender has something revolutionary in their Keylogger scanning abilities, it could be found, but it doesn't sound like it, unless Christian says otherwise. Again, for the average home user, who has private control over his PC should it even be a concern? Unless they bring it in to Anonymous, to get repaired. ;)

I would be more concerned with ATM card readers, where those are open to the public.

Hi

You confined my query to only home user and household PC. I already read the article about Hardware Key-logger from Wikipedia, but I think there may be any solution in this technological world and by the way Wikipedia is not a Black Hole which can grab every Technological Information and Advancements towards itself. :)

• columbo
    Options
    Hi

You confined my query to only home user and household PC. I already read the article about Hardware Key-logger from Wikipedia, but I think there may be any solution in this technological world and by the way Wikipedia is not a Black Hole which can grab every Technological Information and Advancements towards itself. :)

Yes, that was what I thought while reading it too, that Wikipedia is not gospel, and should be considered with a little skepticism as would be with WOT. From reading you posts, I know that you are very sharp in your PC/software/IT knowledge (sharper than I am), and was pretty much adding those links and references for others who may read your intriguing thread.

I also thought most of the readers here, on the Home & Home Office forum would probably not encounter such a situation, and thus geared it to those readers. Again it was mainly for the home user that I had in mind, as I knew you were sharp enough to know all this already, I apologize if I came across to sarcastic...could have been one of those mornings for me. ;)

• rootkit
    Options

Hardware keyloggers are usually used in corporate environments.

You can install a hardware keylogger in a household because the user will see it.

Also, in order for an employer to install such a device, you will have to sign some papers. Else, you can sue him because is spying your personal data.

Thank you.

• A key logger could be installed to steal data. I may not be visible to the user.

Generally speaking: Using a company owned computer or other system (e.g., LAN, email, etc.) does not give you an expectation of privacy. They own the system and the right to view all data.

• rootkit
    Options

We are talking here about hardware keyloggers that run independently. They have nothing in common with the software installed on the PCs.

Thank you.