Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

[resolved] Design Suggestion - Tray Icon

Options
bbriley42
edited March 2012 in Feature request

Hi - I have a design suggestion related to the tray icon for Bitdefender Internet Security 2012. It should in my opinion change color whenever any key security feature is turned off - the autoscan or the firewall, for example.

I have used Norton Internet Security in the recent past for several years, and whenever I would install new programs (of any type) on my pc, I would typically turn off the autoscan feature during the installation of the new program. In Nortion IS, when I did turn a security feature off, the tray icon would change color (to red, as I recall) to alert me that it was off. In addition, at the time I turned autoscan off, I got a menu window giving me a choice for how much time I wished it to remain off. For example, 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, or "until reboot." If I selected 15 minutes, the autoscan would be turned back on automatically after 15 minutes.

In Bitdefender Internet Security 2012, I cannot tell if the autoscan is turned off unless I hold the cursor over the tray icon - in that case, a tool tip pops up to tell me that an unspecified issue(s) needs fixing. I believe the Norton system is better - the tray icon actually changes color until the security feature is turned back on. I think this would be useful to users. In addition, I suggest you add the "turn off time" whenever autoscan or the firewall (or any other security feature) is being turned off, so that the security feature will automatically be turned back on after a certain time (or until system reboot), as I described for the Norton security software.

Any thoughts on these suggestions?

Comments

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Bob

We do have a these functions for the Bitdefender icon in system tray.

If you turn off the Auto Scan, the icon will be black with a yellow "B" letter. If you turn off the firewall, the icon will be black with a red "B" letter.

Basically when the product has to warn the user about something, it can do it through the tray icon.

Please check again these. Also, make sure that you have the latest product update installed.

Take care.

• Hi Bob

We do have a these functions for the Bitdefender icon in system tray.

If you turn off the Auto Scan, the icon will be black with a yellow "B" letter. If you turn off the firewall, the icon will be black with a red "B" letter.

Basically when the product has to warn the user about something, it can do it through the tray icon.

Please check again these. Also, make sure that you have the latest product update installed.

Take care.

Hi Christian! Now I see it - the color changes were subtle and I overlooked them. I just tested what you said by turning off in turn the AV and the firewall. Thank you! Sometimes I can be obtuse in my perceptions - but perhaps also the color changes should be more dramatic in the icons, too (that is a design hint). Thank you for your reply.

Bob

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Bob :)

I am glad that you have discovered these features.

In the future, for the next desktop product there will be some design settings.

Thank you for your feedback.

• bbriley42
    edited March 2012
    Options
    - snip -

Take care.

Thank you for your note, Christian. The virus definitions are updated regularly, as you know, but I don't know if program version updates (I have Bitdefender Internet Security 2012) during the year will also be downloaded and installed automatically. I cannot find a <Help-About> screen to tell me the exact numerical program version.

Can you tell me whether or not program updates will be installed automatically? I looked at "My Bitdefender" account and I couldn't find a page for downloading any product updates during the year.

As always, thanks to you at Bitdefender for developing such good products! Blessings TO and THROUGH each of you into this world which so needs peace.

• - SNIP -

Can you tell me whether or not program updates will be installed automatically? I looked at "My Bitdefender" account and I couldn't find a page for downloading any product updates during the year.

Christian, I am sorry to have bothered you needlessly! I found the answer right here on the forum - the product updates are indeed done automatically via the update process (same channel as the AV definition updates). I also just noticed the "about" option when right-clicking on the tray icon, and so I found what product version I have - indeed it does reflect the latest product updates! I feel obtuse today - but perhaps it is partly age (I am 69).

As always, thanks for your help, Christian. Pax Tecum (Latin expression...).

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi :)

Thank you for your feedback. You are most welcome.

Since you received all the answers, I declare this topic closed.

Have a great weekend.

Take care.

This discussion has been closed.