Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bd Is 2008 And Outlook 2003: No Tools. No Support.

Options

Installed BitDefender Internet Security 2008. Most immediate problems are with Outlook 2003 and support for same.

With regard to Outlook issue, the toolbar comes and goes: sometimes it's present when Outlook is started. Sometimes is absent.

Also, when BD toolbar is present, I am unable to use the wizard to add friends. Instead an error message displays stating that the plugin has encountered a problem and needs to shut down.

Completed the repair install process with no effect. Have also attempted to register "bdo.dll", and to check for disabled servicess as described in this forum. Nothing.

With regard to Support, several attempts to communicate with BD support over the last several days via LiveChat, phone, e-mail, error reporting with log and sysdump files, and screenshots have yielded no reply whatsoever.

Both of these issues are most disconcerting for a company and a product touting Internet Security, especially when considering the supposed latest and greatest 2008 security and its apparent inability to integrate with a mail client introduced more than 4 years ago.

Lastly, my previous security suite, Norton IS 2007 was uninstalled using their uninstaller. Used Advanced System Optimizer to clean and defrag registry prior to BD IS 2008 install. Would appreciate recommendation on any possible solutions for either or both issues.

Thanks,

Greg

Comments

• Niels
    Options

Dear Greg C

Did you used the specific Symantec removal tool? That isn't the default uninstaller. If no follow these instructions.

Go to tools,options,others,advanced options,com-add-ins, normally you must find and entry of BitDefender Antispam. If that fails go to help,about,Microsoft Office,disabled Items,check BitDefender antispam toolbar and press on enable after that you must check if BitDefender Antispam is enabled in com-add-ins otherwise check the option. If the problem still persist I recommend that you uninstall BitDefender while using this tool. First right click on the BitDefender icon near the system clock and choose exit. Run the tool and reboot afterwards install BitDefender again.

Best regards

Niels

• Dear Greg C

Did you used the specific Symantec removal tool? That isn't the default uninstaller. If no follow these instructions.

Go to tools,options,others,advanced options,com-add-ins, normally you must find and entry of BitDefender Antispam. If that fails go to help,about,Microsoft Office,disabled Items,check BitDefender antispam toolbar and press on enable after that you must check if BitDefender Antispam is enabled in com-add-ins otherwise check the option. If the problem still persist I recommend that you uninstall BitDefender while using this tool. First right click on the BitDefender icon near the system clock and choose exit. Run the tool and reboot afterwards install BitDefender again.

Best regards

Niels

Neils,

Thank you for your quick reply.

In answer to your questions, I did indeed use the Symantec Removal Tool. ALso, as mentioned in my previous note, BitDefender is not listed in the Com Add-ins, nor in the Disabled Items of MS office. From your advice, it seems a reinstall of BD Internet Security 2008 following an uninstall using the BD tool is my best option.

I will post my results.

THanks again.

Greg

• gcrozier@earthlink.net
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Installed BitDefender Internet Security 2008. Most immediate problems are with Outlook 2003 and support for same.

With regard to Outlook issue, the toolbar comes and goes: sometimes it's present when Outlook is started. Sometimes is absent.

Also, when BD toolbar is present, I am unable to use the wizard to add friends. Instead an error message displays stating that the plugin has encountered a problem and needs to shut down.

Completed the repair install process with no effect. Have also attempted to register "bdo.dll", and to check for disabled servicess as described in this forum. Nothing.

With regard to Support, several attempts to communicate with BD support over the last several days via LiveChat, phone, e-mail, error reporting with log and sysdump files, and screenshots have yielded no reply whatsoever.

Both of these issues are most disconcerting for a company and a product touting Internet Security, especially when considering the supposed latest and greatest 2008 security and its apparent inability to integrate with a mail client introduced more than 4 years ago.

Lastly, my previous security suite, Norton IS 2007 was uninstalled using their uninstaller. Used Advanced System Optimizer to clean and defrag registry prior to BD IS 2008 install. Would appreciate recommendation on any possible solutions for either or both issues.

Thanks,

Greg

UPDATING REPAIR EFFORTS

Neils,

I have followed each of the suggestions including a re-install with no success. THe problem continues: each time I click on the Wizard tab in the BidDefender Internet Security 2008 Toolbar, I receive the "...encoutered a problem and must shut down..." message. This behavior leaves me feeling uncertain about what is actually being protected and what is not. What's more, I still have received no reply from Technical support.

Hardly the sort of performance one would expect for a "state of the art" internet security suite, much less the company behind the product.

The real issue at stake here is this: I did not buy a product for my computer, I purchased peace of mind for me. In this context, I am still waiting on delivery.

Additional thoughts are most welcome.

Thanks,

Greg

• Niels
    Options

Dear Greg C

That means only that the antispam toolbar is disabled. That doesn't affect the other necessary protection.

I was confused because you said services and not add-in.

I have no problems myself with outlook 2003 and BDIS 2008. Try this go to start,run,type cmd press enter

type now regsvr32 /u C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender2008\bdo.dll Now put in the installation cd-rom of office and perform a repair installation. Download and install afterwards this registry cleaner. Install it run the registry cleaner,click on scan your registry let it finish press on repair when asked. Reboot your pc afterwards register bdo.dll once again.

Best regards

Niels

• :unsure:

Has anybody come up with a fix for the Outlook plug in problem yet?

• Niels
    Options

Hello Trackless,

Please try this download this registry cleaner. Install it start it after that go to the modules tab and press on registry cleaner,scan registry for problems,wait till it's finished press on repair. Reboot your pc and follow the instructions that I gave in this topic.

Best regards,

Niels