Firewall Problem

jamesau
edited May 2012 in Firewall

Hi there,

I am currently trialling Bitdefender Internet Security 2012. I am having some issues with the firewall.

What I am trying to do is have my torrent application (Azureus) only use VPN traffic. I set my rules so that it blocks all traffic from my WIFI adapter (trusted) and only allow traffic from my TAP Win32 Adapter (Public). Everything works fine but then bitdefender starts adding rules of its own allowing traffic from all adapters:

pt5kf.jpg

As you can see the last rule is being added by bitdefender allowing traffic on all networks thus making my two rules above it useless. How can I stop bitdefender adding the last rule by itself? If I select Paranoid mode then I keep getting popups every 2 minutes asking me to allow or deny which again creates a rule to override my rules.

Can someone please help? This is the only issue stopping me from registering a 2 year license.

Comments

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello :)

Welcome to the forums.

First off all, please turn off Paranoid Mode and reboot the PC.

After this, delete the existing rules for that software and recreate them.

It should run just fine after this.

Let me know if everything is OK.

Take care.

• jamesau
    edited May 2012
    Hello :)

Welcome to the forums.

First off all, please turn off Paranoid Mode and reboot the PC.

After this, delete the existing rules for that software and recreate them.

It should run just fine after this.

Let me know if everything is OK.

Take care.

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply.

I have turned Paranoid mode off and rebooted as you said. But the last rule allowing on Any Network is still being created. It gets created instantly as I run the program.

I tried to re-install the software but the same problem occurs. It keeps creating the last rule. Can you please advise how I can stop it from creating rules by itself? Further, it would be good if you could pass on a suggestion to the development team to have a "Custom Firewall" mode where the firewall does not create its own rules and allows the user to keep their own rules. That would be good for future Bitdefender products.

• The rules are parsed from top to bottom.

If you want to only get traffic from Azureus on Public you must do the following:

- first create a rule to Allow traffic only for Network Type "Public"

- then create another rule to Deny traffic from all Network Types.

As the rules are parsed, it will check if your TAP Win32 Adapter is set on Public and will Allow the traffic.If the adapter is set on another Network Type, it will hit the next rule and block the traffic.