Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Outlook Express Keeps Crashing, Firewall Keeps Disappearing

Options

I have 2 main problems and 1 small probem since I installed Bitdefender Total Security 2008 a couple of weeks ago.

I moved from ZoneAlarm to Bitdefender because ZoneAlarm made booting my computer very slow and Instant Messanger almost impossible to use. Other than that no problems with security during the 2 years I used it. However I read Bitdefender was simple to use (lol) and effective and it has considerably speeded up booting my computer and I can now use Messanger. However the disadvantages have far outweighed these improvements.

Main problem1 - Outlook Express keeps crashing and the only way I can get it to operate again is by rebooting my computer. What makes it crash? I click on an e-mail to open it up - it crashes, I click on reply - it crashes, I click on change identity - it crashes etc etc. Not every time - but this happens up to 7 times per day. The only way I can get Outlook Express to operate again is to reboot my computer. This never happened previous to installing Bitdefender.

Small problem - The Bitdefender task bar is often not present on Outlook Express and spam mails get into my inbox. I close Outlook Express and reopen it and the task bar appears!

Main problem 2 - My Firewall keeps being disabled. I have to keep Bitdefender Security Centre open on my computer so that I can spot when the Security button suddenly goes red. What problems occur? the following functions are disabled - Real time protection, Identity control, Firewall and Stealth mode. I click on fix for individual problems - nothing. I click on fix all - nothing happens. The only way I seem able to get the Firewall to operate again is to reboot - then the problem disappears. In my ignorance I have been led to believe that the Firewall is essential to stop people gaining access to my computer and taking information off it. So as far as I am concerned this problem is exposing me to hackers and identity fraud - is this correct?

My computer is my lifeline to the outside world due to a disability and these problems are ruining the pleasure I have always taken in my computer. I am sure there is some way to resolve these problems but I do not have a degree in Computers and I feel I need one to decipher the language in the help pages and in the book I got with the CD. I wish that companies that made these systems could have help pages for those with limited knowledge as well as for those that understand computerbabble.

My operating system is Microsoft XP version 6.0

Outlook Express 6

Comments

• I have 2 main problems and 1 small probem since I installed Bitdefender Total Security 2008 a couple of weeks ago.

I moved from ZoneAlarm to Bitdefender because ZoneAlarm made booting my computer very slow and Instant Messanger almost impossible to use. Other than that no problems with security during the 2 years I used it. However I read Bitdefender was simple to use (lol) and effective and it has considerably speeded up booting my computer and I can now use Messanger. However the disadvantages have far outweighed these improvements.

Main problem1 - Outlook Express keeps crashing and the only way I can get it to operate again is by rebooting my computer. What makes it crash? I click on an e-mail to open it up - it crashes, I click on reply - it crashes, I click on change identity - it crashes etc etc. Not every time - but this happens up to 7 times per day. The only way I can get Outlook Express to operate again is to reboot my computer. This never happened previous to installing Bitdefender.

Small problem - The Bitdefender task bar is often not present on Outlook Express and spam mails get into my inbox. I close Outlook Express and reopen it and the task bar appears!

Main problem 2 - My Firewall keeps being disabled. I have to keep Bitdefender Security Centre open on my computer so that I can spot when the Security button suddenly goes red. What problems occur? the following functions are disabled - Real time protection, Identity control, Firewall and Stealth mode. I click on fix for individual problems - nothing. I click on fix all - nothing happens. The only way I seem able to get the Firewall to operate again is to reboot - then the problem disappears. In my ignorance I have been led to believe that the Firewall is essential to stop people gaining access to my computer and taking information off it. So as far as I am concerned this problem is exposing me to hackers and identity fraud - is this correct?

My computer is my lifeline to the outside world due to a disability and these problems are ruining the pleasure I have always taken in my computer. I am sure there is some way to resolve these problems but I do not have a degree in Computers and I feel I need one to decipher the language in the help pages and in the book I got with the CD. I wish that companies that made these systems could have help pages for those with limited knowledge as well as for those that understand computerbabble.

My operating system is Microsoft XP version 6.0

Outlook Express 6

Hello!

It is definitely a LATE reply, but though....

I checked some issues like those you described - and I think I have found the answers:

1. "Main problem 1": that's exactly the Bitdefender Outlook Express Bar causing the crash. You should de-activate it from "Internet Explorer->Tools->Manage Add-ons" (it is the Internet Explore menu). Look for someting like BDOE (or "Bitdefender Outlook Express" in full) Yes, that toolbar is controlled from that Internet Explorer menu.

1 bis: if you don't find that Add-On: search (general search, from "Start") for a file named BDOE.DLL (case doesn't matter - I wrote it in capitals just to be more visible) After you'll find it: "Rename" it as BDOE.DL_ (case insesitive too) This we'll simply make the file unuasable for the Bitdefender - no other consequences. This is a temporary fix - doesn't delete the file - if you'll want to reactivate the file (for who knows what reasons) you may rename it back to original name (bdoe.dll) and it will be again functional for the BitDefender.

2. Main problem 2: Use ONLY ONE (1) firewall at a time! Your Windows Firewall is DEACTIVATED by BitDefender Firewall. Please, deactivate the BitDefender Firewall from its own menu (BitDefender Options-> Firewall Off) But BE SURE that Windows Firewall IS ON. This is its default state - after a reboot, if BitDefender is NOT active, then you'll have no more problems. Of course, Bit Defender will reclam you the OFF state of its own Firewall - ignore it.

The same criterium (ONE FIREWAL AT A TIME) applies also if you use a Router and/or a DSL modem, as these type of communication hardware have their own Firewalls, but they interfere unproductevely (they conflict) with similar products working simultaneously. So: as all the Windows operating systems have nowadays excellent firewalls, use it with no fear - you'll be enough protected.

Small problem:) Spam should be controlled primarely by your ISP (Internet Service Provider) - so, normally you shouldn't be receiving spam in your inbox. If you deactivate BitDefender Task Bar, you can though control the spam quite simply: create a "filter rule" in Outlook Express (there is a comprehensive menu guiding you "user friendly"
    :)) in which, for instance, the mailer rejects/redirects/delete ANY mails which DON'T CONTAIN your "display name" (your real name appearing before the mail address) in the (let's say) "To:" field of the incoming email (or maybe in the "Header body" or wherever you'll find appropriate to place your "key word"). After creating the rule in OE, you can fine tune it by sending yourself few emails and verifying the result.

Good luck. Hope it will help - though so late...

Regards,

Paul Silvestru

• donner
    Options

I have yahoo as my email account and rogers is my carrier and I recently got hacked into my emails. I have Bitdefender and also Malwarebytes. Is there protection for emails.